This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The first day of a new school year was always exciting when we were younger. Now, the first day of a new school year brings excitement, but also anxiety about all of the work to come. Here’s a list of essentials for a new quarter to help make your back-to-school experience a bit more fun and to ease some of your worries by making sure you’re prepared.

School Bag

A classic leather tote big enough to carry your books will also double as a purse for when you’re out and about. If a tote is not your style, try a trendy leather backpack.

Cute Planner

When the quarter starts to get busy, it’s harder to manage time and keep track of all the things you have to do. Finding a cute planner to organize your activities, assignments, and meetings helps ease stress when life gets hectic.

Fun Pencils & Supplies

Pencils with cute sayings make taking notes and writing papers just a bit more bearable. Tip: try the dollar section at Target for some affordable options. Also make sure to pick up the basics like a stapler, a three-hole punch, and paperclips.

Desk Decoration

Whether you do most of your studying at your desk or not, a small decoration is a nice touch to make your dorm a bit more homey. Try adding a plant (succulents are super low maintenance) or a small picture frame to make your dorm feel a little more like home.

New Sneakers

Nothing beats the feeling of a brand new pair of shiny white tennis shoes (that will inevitably get dirty the first time you wear them). Converse and Adidas are classics that are super comfortable for everyday casual outfits.

First Day Outfit

Everyone wants to look their best for the first day of class. Back to school shopping is the perfect excuse to treat yourself to a new outfit!

Good luck this quarter!

Sofia is from the San Francisco Bay Area and studies Political Science (plus a million other minors). Sofia writes about style, travel, food and coffee on her blog, www.sofialeyla.com . In her free time, catch her hammocking by Bellomy Field or finding her zen in yoga class.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.