7 Reasons to Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Studying abroad can be an amazing experience. At the same time, however, it’s a big decision to make, both financially and personally. Here are some reasons why you should make the jump, and take that quarter (or more) abroad:

1. See and experience a new culture

There’s so much to see outside of the United States. From cultural landmarks to grand displays of nature, studying abroad offers you the chance to see things you may never have gotten a chance to see. People live and operate very differently throughout the world. Embracing the experience to learn about other people’s customs can make you a more culturally aware and better-rounded person. Study abroad is also a unique opportunity. When you’re an adult, it’s likely that you won’t have the time or money to jet off to Europe for three months. Yes, you’re taking classes, but it’s safe to say that no one who goes abroad plans on studying for five hours a day. While you’re learning course material, you are also engaging in a different culture in which you can actively apply what you’ve learned in class. This is just one of many reasons why studying abroad is such an extraordinary experience. There’s so much away from home to discover, and we should take every chance we get to experience it.

2. Discover your heritage

A lot of us are at least one or more generations removed from where our relatives originally came from. Studying abroad offers the chance to reconnect with our ancestors. For those of us who come from recent immigrants, studying abroad is a great way to connect with our heritage, and help define our identity. Our cultures shape who we are as individuals, making it important to understand where we have come from. Embracing our own cultures can help us better relate to other ones as well.

3. Try new food 

Benson isn’t exactly a place to discover exotic flavors. Bon Appetit tries hard, but they have to please 5,000 students with their cuisine, which doesn’t leave much room for experimentation. Going abroad, even to relatively similar countries like Spain or Great Britain provides a whole new culinary experience: Iberian ham, steak and kidney pie, fresh bratwurst, the list goes on. I guarantee that you’ll find a new favorite food when you go abroad. However, it’s not just about the actual food. The dining experience is completely different in other countries. For example, in Spain, meals tend to last for a minimum of two hours, and it’s not uncommon for people to go out for lunch, and end up talking into dinner!

4. Adapt to a new place 

Some of us have spent our whole lives in the same small area; we go to college twenty minutes from home, and we live within walking distance of all our friends. While this is convenient, it’s generally not best to spend your whole life in the same town. Eventually, it’ll be important to start a life somewhere new. Studying abroad gives you the refreshing opportunity to do just that. Warning: You will experience a culture shock, in which you’ll be living in an unfamiliar place where you will likely not know anyone. HOWEVER, this is where the host school comes in. People from the school will do all they can to make you feel at home. Also, you can always adjust at your own pace. Studying abroad is a great way to get acclimated to somewhere new without having a lot of the stresses associated with being an adult in a similar situation.

5. Different classroom setting

Education varies widely around the world in terms of how teachers teach, the way schools are set up, and how classes are measured. Learning course material at Santa Clara will be very different from learning the same information while abroad. This is a fantastic chance to get exposed to a different style of teaching. It can help you discover the teaching and learning style that best suits you, which can be very beneficial.

6. Learn a language

The best way to learn a language is through immersion. There’s no better substitute for learning a language’ nuances first hand than through those who have grown up speaking it. Think of all the linguistic differences between the regions of the United States. There are dozens of American idioms that make little to no sense when translated literally (i.e. pulling someone’s leg, apple of my eye, being “at each other’s throats.”) Every culture has its little language secrets, and the best way to learn them is by going overseas. Going abroad and immersing yourself in another culture is the final step in progressing from learning a language to knowing it.

7. Build a competitive resume 

Studying abroad proves to employers that you have the desire and ability to adapt to other cultures and lifestyles. This is becoming increasingly important as the global market expands. Future employers and job opportunities could require you travel internationally or even relocate to another country. Having studied abroad, it will be clear that you are capable of performing and adapting in a variety of foreign circumstances, domestic or international.

I highly encourage you to keep these reasons in mind as you make the choice to study abroad or not. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to discover a new culture, become fluent in a foreign language, and travel with new friends. Don’t miss out!