This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The Internet is full of articles claiming if you drink more water you’ll lose weight, have more energy, and have glowing skin. Coming into this experiment of drinking 3 liters of water every day for five days, I was pretty excited to figure out if all the benefits of being extremely hydrated were true. I wasn’t, however, excited for constant trips to the bathroom and the hassle of chugging water constantly.

Here’s how my 5 days of 3 liters went:

Day 1

I said I was excited to try this out, but I might have been exaggerating. Coming into this week I was stressed about writing papers and midterms, and I didn’t want another thing to worry about. But on Day 1, I magically drank 3 liters of water without even noticing it. Disclaimer: I usually drink about 3 water bottles per day, so by the time I drank my normal amount and had a few cups of herbal tea I had accomplished my 3L goal. Day 1 = success!

Day 2

I woke up with a headache, and I was not impressed. Isn’t water supposed to stop headaches?! I also was hit hard by my normal midday slump, and didn’t feel like drinking more water gave me any extra energy. I did, however feel very full after chugging 4 cups, which prevented me from snacking in between meals. I started a tally in my planner to keep track of how much water I was drinking—a strategy I really liked! The downside of day 2 was that after dinner I still hadn’t finished my 3L yet, so I chugged down my final cups—and then had to wake up to pee TWO times in the night.

Day 3

On day 3 I decided to spice things up with some cucumber and lime flavored water. This made it more enjoyable and refreshing to gulp down my 13 cups. I also developed a strategy to finish drinking my water early in the day, because I was seriously not happy about having to get up at night.

Day 4

To be honest, on day 4 I was ready to give up. I was feeling a bit more full than usual in between meals, but other than I wasn’t seeing any extra benefits. By afternoon I had only had about 6 cups and started to develop a headache. Was I having water withdrawals?!? I quickly drank 4 cups, and my headache started to fade.

Day 5

The last day! I was ready to go back to drinking my normal amount of water.

5 days of drinking 3 liters of water went differently than I expected. I thought I would literally be drowning and hate having to drink so much water, but it really wasn’t that bad to up my daily intake. Because I normally drink 8 cups per day, I didn’t notice that many changes, except maybe feeling a bit more full and snacking less (turns out I actually lost 2lbs!). I really liked keeping track of how much water I’m drinking, so I’ve started drawing 8 water drops in my daily planner which I fill in as I drink! Now that summer is almost here, do whatever works for you, but remember to stay hydrated. 

Sofia is from the San Francisco Bay Area and studies Political Science (plus a million other minors). Sofia writes about style, travel, food and coffee on her blog, www.sofialeyla.com . In her free time, catch her hammocking by Bellomy Field or finding her zen in yoga class.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.