The Lalaassorted Nail Polish
The Lalaassorted Nail Polish
Her Campus Media
Style

2022: Year of the Basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

The Basic Girl trope took the Internet meme scene by storm. From early 2010s memes about Starbucks, UGG boots, and Taylor Swift to present-day jabs at high-waisted mom-jeans and Euphoria-inspired makeup, the Basic Girl identity has undergone constant transformations throughout the decades. Though her “look” remains as dynamic as the rapidly shifting fashion and lifestyle trends of our society, the Basic Girl continues to be ridiculed and meme-ified by the general majority. The reason behind the disdain of acting, talking, or looking like a Basic Girl remains equivocal; it is almost ridiculous how much shame is put on the trope (honestly it’s just one of the examples about how women can’t do anything right). It has been turned into such a humiliating adjective that women have gone out of their way to dress outstandingly non-Basic (queue Dickies pants, funky hats, avant-garde make-up). But low and behold, the baggy jeans, thrifted crewnecks, androgynous outfits—literally everything—were quickly labeled as Basic Girl Attire. Once again, the women’s artistic and lifestyle endeavors were minimized to one single meme-ified insult.

So, I have a proposition.

2022 is the time to embrace all of the fashion trends, eatery, lifestyle activities, phrases that are considered basic by the general public. For example, I resented my yoga pants for a grueling 8 years until I realized my fear of loving them just sprouted from being gaslighted into thinking being Basic was unoriginal, uninspiring, or boring. I had this moment of clarity when I heard from a friend that the “12 3 30” (Incline of 12, speed of 3 for 30 minutes on the treadmill) workout was something only Basic Girls did. Something as simple as using a treadmill was deemed embarrassing and derivative. It’s ridiculous. So, I encourage all of us to start embracing the Basic. There’s literally no point in stopping what you enjoy. As possible inspiration, here is a list of Basic Girl Things I will now be openly obsessed with:

• Painting my nails white
  • Astrology
  • 12 3 30 Workout
  • Pink
  • Yoga Pants
  • Avocado Toast
  • Gold jewelry 
  • Reality TV Dating Shows
  • Curtain Bangs
  • Converse and Air Force 1s
  • Ombré Hair

I hope all you ladies out there feel inspired by my Pro Basic Girl rant and can adventure into your classes, coffee shops, movie dates, beach days, and any other activity with your guilty Basic Girl obsessions.

Junior Communications and Retail Studies Major at SCU