Tips On Transferring: From The Girl Who Lives In Her Parents Basement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

Your heart is racing. You walk into the classroom hoping you won’t be noticed. The professor hasn’t arrived yet and you’ve made the mistake of sitting in the front row.

You look around and most of the other kids are on their phones but there are a few who are talking amongst themselves. You pull out your phone and start scrolling through anything to calm your nerves.

The door opens and the professor walks in and you hold your breath.

While they unpack their bag, you wait for them to notice you and ruin any chance you have at being normal, going unseen. They finally look up and glance lazily across the room, their eyes land on you for a brief moment and then go back to the papers they’re shuffling through.

After what seems like an eternity they step up to the front of the classroom and clear their throat, and there is not a single mention about a new student.

And that is the moment you realize that nobody cares.

From a young age we’re instilled with the fear of being the new kid. The thought of standing in front of a classroom of strangers being forced to talk about yourself is something I have always feared myself.

When I decided to transfer colleges anxiety levels were high all summer with just the thought of having that “new girl” aura following me around. The night before my first day of class I laid in bed thinking of what I would experience the next day. I spent hours planning the perfect outfit so I looked good enough but without looking like I was trying too hard. 

My childhood best friend was already attending the same school so I had some anchor to hold on to, but in class I was on my own. In my mind, I basically had the word “transfer” tattooed on my forehead. But as the day went on and my makeup started to melt away, so did my stress. This is college! Once again, no one cares.

As college students we’re all too wrapped up in our own worlds to realize the person next to us is sweating bullets. Thankfully universities are much larger than high school, so no one will actually realize you’re new.

For all they know, you’re just another girl they have never seen before. They’re too worried about that assignment they finished 15 minutes ago. So don’t stress! Walk into that class with your head held high. And don’t worry about eating lunch alone, because that’s just another college norm. 

The cliques of high school are a thing of the past. So focus on your schoolwork, throw on some yogas and take the day by storm. 

SCSU. Marine Biology major.
SCSU Campus Correspondant. Communication major, journalism minor.