The Pros and Cons of Being a Commuter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

Of Southern’s entire population 68% are commuters. Although I may only be a freshman I’ve noticed that being a commuter has both ups and downs. So, I’ve put a list together of what I’ve found to be the pros and cons of being an SCSU commuter.

Pros

1. No extreme meal plan

The meal plans at Southern are crazy expensive. As a freshman, you’re kind of forced into getting the unlimited meal plan if you’re living on campus. The meal plans are more than $2,500 a semester, and if you’re not eating 3 meals a day, you’re wasting that money. By commuting, you only buy the meals you need, usually for a cheaper price, or you can get a much, much cheaper meal plan. 

2. Home-cooking

Besides being able to avoid expensive meal plans, you’re able to live off of your normal home-cooked meals. Nothing is better after a long day than coming home to the small of freshly-made food. Plus, you can chose to eat healthier. Although there are some healthy options at Conn and in the Student Center, being able to make a healthy meal at home is a super plus. 

3. Your own room

Most people who live on campus have at least one roommate and, unless you’re super great at working with distractions, that sometimes makes studying a bit difficult. Some people just study better when they’re alone, and I’m one of them. I find it a lot more comforting doing work in my own room.

4. Save money

Overall, commuting saves you money. Living on campus is an extra $10,000 that can easily be saved for your future after college. When you’re a college student, saving money is so important.

Cons

1. Traffic

New Haven traffic is literally the worst. When you have an 8 am and you have to drive through morning rush-hour, it’s actual hell. Personally, when I have my 8 am’s, I have to be up at 5:30 just so I can get out of the house on time to avoid extreme traffic. 

2. You can’t easily get help from classmates

The main problem I’ve encountered is not being able to just knock on my neighbors’ doors to get help on an essay, or being able to walk to a friend’s dorm to study for some test.

The honors college, for example, has their own LLC in West Residence so when they are confused about a reading or need someone to read their paper before handing it in, they just knock on their neighbor’s door.

But if over the weekend you’re stuck on a problem, the only way you really get help is through a quick text or by actually driving back to campus. It’s a waste of gas and it kind of sucks.

3. Gas

Driving back and forth to school 5 days a week requires gas and gas isn’t exactly the cheapest thing on the planet. Don’t get me wrong, putting $20 to $45 of gas in your car is a lot cheaper than paying to live on campus. But buying gas kinda sucks.

It also requires having some sort of job that at least pays enough to get you to a from school for a week, which also kinda sucks.

Overall, commuting has its pros and cons just like being a resident has its pros and cons. But if you’re looking to save money and you live close to campus, commuting is something to definitely consider!

Cover 

Photos 1, 2, 3, 4

Statistics 

Sophomore in the Honors College at Southern Connecticut. I'm a theatre major and aspire to be on Broadway.