Dancers Come in Different Sizes, Too.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

I have danced for 15 years, and I don’t plan on stopping anytime soon. But a few years ago, that was a different story.

As I grew up in the dance world, the idea of a “dancer’s body” trailed me wherever I went. This idea of having a skinny, tall body haunted me and often caused me feel insecure in whatever I did. 

I remember growing up as the biggest girl in all of my groups, the girl with the largest costume size. I was laughed at by other parents, and called “fluffy” by the younger kids. At the rehearsal for my senior year dance recital two moms in the audience, exaggeratingly mimiced my dance moves and laughed as they pointed. They didn’t know I could see them, but I did and it hurt. 

There were days where I would consider quitting dance because of the people who laughed at me. Dance was one of the very few things that brought me true joy, yet these parents who laughed, commented, and made rude faces were enough to make me miserable in what I considered my second home. 

Everything changed when I saw the video of a 15-year-old “plus size” dancer, named Lizzy. The video went viral for “breaking down barriers in the world of dance.” (Mirror) When I first saw her video my immediate reaction was the check the comments because, out of my own insecurities, I feared people would make rude comments about her, comments she really did not deserve. The majority of the comments were anything but that. She was being called an “inspiration” and “beautiful” and many other positive things. 

As the girl who was constantly afraid of posting dance videos out of the fear of being mocked, the girl who was afraid to wear certain dance costumes on stage, and the girl who almost gave up what she loved because of body standards, I couldn’t help but cry a little.

Dearest Lizzy, never stop doing what you love and don’t you EVER let anyone tell you you’re not good enough. And, of course, thank you for showing the world that dancers can be “plus size,” too.

More on Lizzy

Cover

Photo: Vittoria Cristante

Sophomore in the Honors College at Southern Connecticut. I'm a theatre major and aspire to be on Broadway.