Class Registration Season As Told By Jess Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

Oh registration season we do fear you so. High school registration just doesn’t prepare you for the battle of college registration, it feels like the real life Hunger Games. 

Will you get your dream schedule next semester? Will you be able to take all the requirements you listed, or will you have to wait until next time because some of the classes you were trying to get into filled up immediately?

Finding classes that work perfectly with your busy schedule.

How will you make sure you can take 4 to 5 classes next semester when you work and some of the classes you need to take only meet in the evenings? You don’t want to go back and forth from work to school, how will this work in your favor? 

Trying to meet all the requirements you need to keep a steady pace towards graduation.

There are quite a few requirements, both in your general education and in your major/minor concentration. It can get pretty stressful, fairly quickly.

Waking up at 5:30 a.m. to be prepared for 6 a.m. registration.

You’ve only just opened your eyes for the day and you’re already looking at a screen that is at its lowest brightness and is still too bright for your sleepy, tired eyes. But all is good because you’re able to get onto the registration page before it clogs up with all the other people who woke up at exactly 6 a.m. 

Getting all the classes you wanted!

SCORE! What a great day this is going to be, you got all the classes you were hoping for and nothing can bring you down. Suddenly you are looking forward to next semester.

Going to your classes and listening to your classmates complain about not getting the classes they wanted.

As you sit silently proud of yourself for being up early, typing all those numbers and hitting enter quickly enough.

vs.

Not getting all the classes you wanted.

You can’t believe this is happening, what will you do now? How will you graduate on time? All the worries come crashing down, you only got enough classes to be considered a part-time student. Will you be able to find another one of your requirement classes that is not full yet?

Going to class and listening to people brag about getting into the classes you wanted. 

How did they do it? Why did they do it? Suddenly it feels like a personal attack but then you remember it can’t be, afterall, you’re all there for the same reason.

So here’s to registration season an exciting, frustrating and nerve-wracking time we, as college students, must endure twice a year.

SCSU Campus Correspondant. Communication major, journalism minor.