4 Shows that Tackle Social Issues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCSU chapter.

Ever in the mood to watch something that will leave you thinking about what you can do to get involved with social issues? Here’s a list of four shows that tackle social issues correctly.

1. The Fosters

The Fosters is a teen drama aired on Freeform. It revolves around an interracial lesbian couple raising their family of biological, adopted, and foster kids. The show touches on different topics such as sexual assault/ rape, gender roles, LGBT+ issues, family, racism, sexism, gun control, gender identity, and sexual identity. Although the show may have its cheesy moments, it is important and relevant to the current state of the world. 

2. The Get Down

Set in the 70’s in the Bronx, New York, it follows a group of teens during the rise of hip- hop and disco. The Get Down touches on the dangers of hard drugs, racism, poverty, religion, political corruption, gender, and sexuality. It is an extremely underrated show, and was unfortunately cancelled by Netflix. 

3. SKAM

A Norwegian drama, skam translates to shame. SKAM follows the daily lives of teenagers in Oslo dealing with issues like eating disorders, mental illness, sexual assault, Islamophobia, internalized homophobia, loneliness, and the power of social media. 

4. Sense8

Sense8 is a Netflix original about eight strangers from all over the world that suddenly have an emotional and mental connection. Sense8 explores topics such as politics, sexuality, gender, race, and religion. 

Image 1, 2, 3, 4

Image 1, 2, 3, 4

SCSU freshman majoring in studio art. (: