Why aren’t influencers taking COVID more seriously?: A rant.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Before I begin, I’d like to credit D’Angelo Wallace’s recent Youtube video, “INFLUENCER-19,” as a lot of the points I’m about to discuss here are derived from his video.  

I think this is something that, very desperately, needs to be talked about…and quite frankly taken accountability for.  

There are far too many influencers, celebrities, and TikTok stars who have been violating COVID-19 guidelines purely for their own gratification, and attempting to justify their selfish behavior by wasting COVID tests. 

Nikita Dragun, Charli D’amelio, James Charles, LARRAY, Rita Ora, Lana Del Rey, Doja Cat, Bryce Hall, just to name a few, are all guilty of this.  

Let’s take Doja Cat for example. She revealed that she had 4 COVID tests done in one week just so she can attend Kendall Jenner’s birthday party. That’s FOUR tests taken from people who actually need them for work, school, etc. Not to mention the party she attended was crowded with mask-less people, so her negative COVID tests essentially mean nothing at that point if you want to talk about safety. 

Or why don’t we address hypocrisy now. At the start of the pandemic in the US, Charli D’amelio made posts begging fans not to go out and violate COVID guidelines. 

What has she been doing for months now? Making TikToks with her large group of friends, not social distancing, GOING ON VACATIONS and taking mask-less pictures with fans. What a great influence on her extremely young fan base! 

Seems like influencers would rather catch a deadly virus than not throw parties for hundreds of people. Nikita Dragun, LARRAY, and other influencers have consistently thrown parties without any regard for human life. They have yet to take genuine accountability for their actions and have thrown multiple parties since the pandemic started.  

My point here is that while people are dying from this virus at an alarming rate, internet famous people find it difficult to not party for a period of time. That’s concerning, especially because a lot of these people have a young, impressionable fan base who watch these influencers promote this selfish, careless behavior. 

I have only touched upon a few COVID super-spreaders of the internet, but there is actually an insane amount of celebrities and influencers who are guilty of putting people at risk. I highly recommend watching D’Angelo Wallace’s video as he goes into great detail of each situation.  

It’s upsetting seeing people have such intense disregard for public health. So many people have lost their loved ones to COVID-19 in the past year, so seeing influencers be so careless and ignorant is sickening. Most funerals only allow up to 10 people in attendance; all the while TikTokers are throwing parties for hundreds of people. Many people aren’t even able to see their sick loved ones until after they die. Meaning they have to watch their mothers, fathers, grandparents, and siblings die through a tablet screen. That in itself is incredibly heartbreaking. 

I think it’s time for these people to take real accountability for their actions, not by making COVID testing excuses. This behavior is in no way acceptable. 

Your parties can wait until after the pandemic. Human lives and public health crises cannot wait.  

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.