This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

It’s 10:17 P.M. on a Friday night. After a crazy week of midterms, you and your girls decide to hit the bar for some fun. 

You felt good about yourself. You throw on a black crop top and matching mini skirt. However, the entire night you cover yourself because numerous men approach you and offer to buy you a drink- they creep closer and closer as if personal space is a foreign concept. 

Society: By showing “too much” skin, you were clearly asking for male attention. 

It’s not even 12 A.M., but you want to go home. So, you call an Uber. 

The Uber driver arrives. He greets you, “You’re so beautiful” and “Why would a woman like you be leaving so early?” 

You feel your body fill with fear every time he turns around to stare at your chest. 

Society: By taking those couple of drinks with your friends, you were giving him permission to stare at your body. 

It’s 12:15 A.M., you finally arrive back to your apartment after what felt like an eternity of a car ride. Your phone begins to ring. It’s your best friend saying, “Please just stay on the phone with me for a little bit, I think I’m being followed.” 

Society: By leaving her house alone at night, she was asking to be followed. 

Society: By being a woman, you are always asking for it. A short skirt means yes. Being intoxicated means yes. Being alone means yes. 

We, women, must stand united to combat social norms and blind-eyed behaviors. 

We, women, must rely upon each other for safety, security and strength. 

We, women, are strong. 

We, women, are brave. 

We, women, are capable of anything. 

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.