Ways to Organize Your Future Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Recently, I have had a change of future plans. It wasn’t the biggest difference from my previous ones but they were definitely different and everything was placed in a different timeline than I imagined. I felt stressed and despite knowing what I wanted to do, I didn’t exactly know what to do to achieve those goals or when to do them. It wasn’t until I came up with these methods that the stress of future clutter became de cluttered. Now can focus on exactly what I need to do and when to do it.

1. What’s the big picture?

What’s the big picture in your mind? What do you see when you think about your future? Do you see your dream career and house? Maybe a family or simply being married to your current or possible future significant other? Do you have that car you always wanted? What are you doing in that big picture? Think about the big picture and what you can immediately see yourself doing and then pinpoint your goals within the picture.

2. Pinpointing your goals.

Now it’s time to pinpoint your goals in the big picture. What exactly are the general details?

3. List your goals and categorize them.

It helps to list your goals and to categorize them. List them from shortest term goal to longest term goal. What can you reach quicker to what will take you awhile to achieve? In the meantime, categorize them based off what role they play in your life. Is it love related? Career related? Wellness related? The list goes on and on, whatever fits best for you.

4. How can you reach each goal?

How can you reach each goal specifically? This is when you take each individual goal and think long and hard about what you can do to start and to achieve them. What can you do now versus what’s going to take awhile?

5. What can you do in the meantime?

After you figured out which goals mean what to and what you can do to achieve them, then what can you do starting now to start working on both a short term and long term goal? Can you start looking for internships maybe a mentor if it’s for a career? Maybe you can even go to the store and buy a bundle of yarn for that blanket you wanted to crochet?

6. Take your time.

Not everything can be rushed and done in a flash. Things take time, especially dreams and goals. Even when life seems to get too carried away it’s always important to keep in mind of your goals and what you can do, no matter how little or small you can in order to reach those goals. Don’t compare yourself to others. Everyone is different and everyone has their own pace. As long as you’re working hard and doing what you can now to get to your goal, then you’re going to reach it and that’s what matters.

7. Take care of yourself.

It’s important to know that while working on achieving your goals and their prerequisites, it is also very important to take care of yourself all the while. You don’t want to burn out before you even reach the big fire of your goals.

My name is Leandria Hercules and I am currently a senior at the University of Scranton, with a major in Journalism and Electronic Media and a minor in Business Communication. Currently I spend my free time on writing my upcoming book and achieving little steps towards my future goals. Feel free to add me on Instagram @leandria_ev831 where I post food content and my daily life!