This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I LOVE NAVARTI!

Navarti is a festival that is celebrated in the fall and celebrates when the goddess Durga defeats the demon Mahishasura. Nava means nine and ratri means nights. We celebrate this festival with the community coming together and dancing together and spreading joy. Everyone has smiles wide on their faces and we all dance with the music blasting in the background. The outfits are each vibrant and colorful making everyone glow and sparkle.

The festival typically starts at eight at night and ends in the early morning. Despite dancing all throughout the night I never feel tired or an ounce of exhaustion. There are three dances that occur: the first is a two step, the second is a three step, and the last one is raas which is done with dandiyas. These dances are done in circles and if someone were to look from a high point of view you would see rings. There would be circles within a circle of people dancing in each.

Every year when Navarti comes I am beaming with happiness and when it ends, I am always so sad. I cannot wait for Navratri next year.

Neha Patel

Scranton '26

Hi! My name is Neha and I am a occupational therapy major! I am so excited to share my stories with you :)