This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Seeing how Easter is so close, I am looking back on the people I have in my life and realizing how thankful I am for them.  

First, my significant other has been the light in my life for a while now. They always make me feel better about myself, and they make me incredibly happy, even when I am about to have a breakdown. I am thankful that they have stuck by my side through thick and thin. I am thankful that we never lost our love for each other when we had fights. I’m thankful that they always have my back and will support me no matter what. We may not always agree on everything, but I am thankful that we can listen to each other’s point of view and compromise. I am always thankful that they never judge me. They let me be me and accept me for all my flaws. I’m thankful that we can be silly and crazy around each other. Before I met them, I was really shy and not outgoing, but now, they brought me out of my shell, and I am so grateful for that. I am a completely different person now. It’s not that they changed me, it’s that I changed because of them. Finally, I am just thankful for them. For everything about them. The way they make me laugh, make me smile, make me a better person. I will forever be thankful for them, forever and ever.  

Next, I am thankful for my new friends and for my old friends. I am thankful for my best friend from high school. Without them, I would not have had the experience I did in high school. Whenever I am with them, I always have the best time. It is never boring, and they are always there to support my decisions and give me advice. Thinking of it, I am really thankful for their advice. Without it, I would have done something really stupid or something I would have regrated. They keep me grounded and every phone call with them lasts for hours because we have so much to catch up on even though we call each other every other day. My new friends, more specifically my roommates, I can’t even begin to tell them how thankful I am for them. I may not show how thankful I am all the time, or any time, but I would never want any other roommates. I am thankful for the late-night crafts, late night shenanigans like blasting the most ridiculous music, watching crazy videos, and acting like we don’t have a care in the world. I know they think I don’t like all the crazy stuff we do, but it makes me really happy and I love being crazy with them and spending time with them. I am thankful that they do not rush me to open up. I am thankful that they help me when I am going through stuff even if they don’t know what I am going through. More specially, I appreciate one of my roommates for buying me ice cream cake and planning a girl’s night when I was going through something. Thank you. 

Finally, my family. I may not be thankful for them all the time, but deep down, I may not be thankful for them all the time, but deep down, I know they just want the best for me and how can I not be thankful for that? First, my mom, I do not show it or tell her all the time, but I am really thankful for her. Without her, I would be completely lost. She has guided me my whole life and still continues to guide me. I know I tell her all the time that I don’t need her help, but truthfully, I do. Next, my aunt, superficially, I am thankful for all the concert tickets she gets me, but under the surface, I am thankful for the way she has been a second mom to me. She doesn’t need to do this because she already has a son to worry about, but she takes such good care of me, like any mother would. My cousin, he has been like a brother to me. Ever since I was born, we have had this close bond, like a brother and sister bond. It has always been this way and I am thankful for the time we get to spend together and how he is always there for me when I need someone. Finally, my grandma. She is the one who keeps are close-knit family together. We may disagree a lot, but I know she is only doing what she thinks is best for me. I am thankful for everything she does for me, such as cook for me, take me to doctor appointments, and most importantly, pay for my tuition. I can never repay her for the amount of money she is providing me to go to school here. I don’t often tell her how grateful I am for this, but it means the world me. Going to school here has given me experiences I wouldn’t forget and friends I don’t want to lose.  Easter is right around the corner and it is time to be with those close to you and reflect on relationships, whether those be with significant others, friends, or family. 

Holly Arace

Scranton '23

University of Scranton '23 English Major
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.