1. “He has denied her the facilities for obtaining a thorough education, all colleges being closed against her.” I believe that women still face the challenge of not having a college degree, due to their husbands saying it is not worth it for them. An education can provide stability for any woman, married or not. It sets them up with a life for themselves, and I still believe women are too scared to better themselves in today’s male-dominated society.
2. “He has endeavored, in every way that he could, to destroy her confidence in her own powers, to lessen her self-respect, and to make her willing to lead a dependent and abject life.” Today’s society is ruled by white, older males; with little to no say from any female type of power. Women are emotional, yet the strongest type of human beings; but are constantly being put down for being “too sensitive”. Even to some extent being made feel like they are worthless, and to have no say in their lives. A crucial problem that happens all over the world is that women are being played with their emotions and being taken advantage of, as well as for men to think that women are “weaker” than them.
3. “Resolved, that woman is man’s equal.” I believe to some extent that women and men are equal, but not in the workforce or in politics. Women only earn up to 77% of what men would earn over a lifetime. As well as in politics…only about 20% of the House is female and 22% of the Senate is female. I feel as if there are not enough female voices in power in society where it matters.
4. “He has taken from her all right in property, even to the wages she earns.” In marriage, most things are shared mutually between spouses. I do believe that if a woman makes her earnings, she should have the right save some of her own money in case of an emergency and even for her own pleasure. A man should not have total control over the money dynamic of a family. When a woman has money of her own, it gives her satisfaction and a feeling of pride in herself.
5. “He has created a false public sentiment by giving to the world a different code of morals for men and women.” I believe that in society standards are set for men and women differently; I feel as if there is a double standard. It may be deemed okay by society for men to do something, but not for women; which is a major struggle. For example, say a male in college parades about what girl he slept with the night before; his friends will deem him as a hero or tell him he is awesome. If a female does the same thing, she is automatically stereotyped as being “easy” and is even slut-shamed for doing the same exact thing as the male did.