Maria Scheller-Best Friends Holding Hands Sunflower Field Dresses Summer Happy Sunset
Maria Scheller / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Dear ex-best friend, 

Recently I watched that new movie on Netflix, “To All The Boys P.S I Still Love You,” and in it, there was this scene that really stood out to me. Laura Jean is sitting in a tree house with her old best friend where she mentions a Korean word called “jung,” which means “the connection between two people that can never be severed. Even when love turns to hate, you will always have tenderness in your heart for them.” Instantly, you came to my head. Even though we drifted, you chose left, I chose right, there will always be a piece of me that belongs to you. 

I look back on all of our memories and even though they sadden me, knowing we are nowhere near as close as we once were, I smile, knowing some of the best times of my life were spent with you by my side. We made the type of memories I’ll look back on, twenty years from now, and laugh as I reenact them for my children. All of the nights we stayed up until dawn to watch the sunrise, getting in far more trouble than we should have, laughing like we didn’t think possible, can never be replaced. They will never be replaced. 

I hope you know I still care about you. There is nothing you could do, no amount of distance that we could drift, that could ever make me stop caring about you. I’ll always check your Snapchat stories and Instagram posts to see how you are doing. You look happy and that makes me happy. But then, I’ll hear rumors in the hallways, that you’re going through tough times or another boy broke your heart, and get sad. I’ll always ask around to make sure you are okay because I get worried. I know you’re okay though. You were always one of the strongest people I knew. 

I hope you also know, if those tough times ever actually do get to be too hard, and you don’t know where to turn, I am always a call away. Whether it be 3 p.m.or 3 a.m., never hesitate to pick up the phone and dial my digits, because I will never turn you away. No matter what. Because, if anything were to happen to you, I know a piece of me would shatter completely, because that will always belong to you. 

There will always be jung between us. 

With lots of love, 

Your old best friend