This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

If you’re like me, you’re always looking for new music. As much as I love my favorite artists and songs, I worry that if I listen to them too much, I will get tired of them. I like to think I have relatively broad music taste. I listen to a mix of modern music, like Taylor Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, and Sabrina Carpenter, and older music, like ABBA, The Eagles, and The Bee Gees.

As much as I love the music of today, there’s something special about music from the past. If you are looking to start listening to some older music, here’s a list of some of my favorite songs from back in the day!

1. “Just Like Heaven” by The Cure (1987)

I didn’t expect to get into The Cure, but I started listening to this Gilmore Girls playlist I found on Spotify, and I came across their music. This song in particular is one of my favorites because I love the electric guitar intro. It’s just one of those songs that makes you want to get up and dance.

2. “Colour My World” by Chicago (1970)

It has a long but great piano intro that I love and there’s a really pretty flute solo as well! It’s a beautiful and calming song, and I always feel happy after listening to it.

3. “I Just Want To Be Your Everything” by Andy Gibb (1977)

Andy Gibb was a member of the musical group The Bee Gees, but this is one of his solo songs. I love this song because it’s just a cute, happy love song and it’s fun to sing along and dance to.

4. “All the Love in the World” by The Corrs (2000)

This song was released in 2000, so it’s a little on the newer side compared to the others. The Corrs are an Irish family band, and they are one of my favorite musical groups. This song is one of my favorites

because I think the lyrics are very relatable. It’s about wanting someone to love and not wanting to be alone anymore, which I’m sure many of us can relate to.

5. “The Best of My Love” by The Eagles (1974)

It is probably my favorite Eagles song. It is a little sad because it is about a relationship ending, but both people in the relationship realize what is happening and they know that they each did the best they could. I really like the music and the harmonies in this song, and I think it’s a sweet song even though it’s a little sad.

6. “God Only Knows” by The Beach Boys (1966)

This song was released in 1966, making it the oldest song on the list. I love The Beach Boys. I think their songs are so upbeat and fun. This song is one of my favorite Beach Boys songs because it’s a sweet, happy love song about loving someone so much that you can’t live without them.

I hope you enjoyed this little blast from the past and that you found a “new” artist or song to listen to!

Sheila Miller

Scranton '26

Hi I'm Sheila! I'm a sophomore journalism and electronic media major. I love to sing and listen to music, and I'm a HUGE Taylor Swift fan! I also love animals, and I have two dogs and two cats.