Meatless Meals for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Let’s set the stage: you’re a college student, all your money is tied up in student loans and savings, and for some reason you don’t have a meal plan this year.  To top it all off, you don’t eat meat; in fact, you haven’t had so much as a meatball for five years.  Cooking on a college student budget is hard enough, but it’s even harder when your options are limited due to a dietary restriction.  So, what’s the use of finally getting the apartment with the kitchen if you can’t use it?  Here are some cheap, easy and quick meals you can make when you’re running late for class.

Breakfast:

1. Eggs

Yay!  Eggs! (Unless you’re also a vegan, then noooo, eggs) Eggs are a great source of protein and they can be made in so many ways in a short time.  Scramble them with cheese, make an omelet with cheese, or fry them with cheese.  Or, boil them and just eat a piece of cheese on the side.

2. Yogurt and toppings

This is a good one because it can be made the night before and stuck in the fridge to grab in the morning on the way out.  Take any flavor of yogurt and mix it with some granola, chocolate, nuts or a combo of all these things.  This could also double as a snack between meals.

3. Fruit Salad

A classic way to get the all vitamins those carnivores think are only in hotdogs.  Throw together all the fruits of your choice in a bowl or cup if you’re on the go, and you have a sweet, delicious breakfast with so many different colors, textures and tastes.

4. Peanut Butter Toast

If you have a little more time, peanut butter toast is a really good breakfast. If you want to be extra fancy, slice up a banana and put it on top.  You’ve got your potassium, fiber, vitamin E- and, of course, a delicious breakfast.

Lunch:

1. Salad

You can’t go wrong with this classic, and the great thing about salad is that you can put whatever you want in it. So, if there are some classic salad ingredients you happen to hate, such as cucumbers, just leave them in the salad bar where they belong.

2. Caprese Salad

My personal special recipe, this Italian classic is an appetizer for most, but could make a great meal for those who would skip the chicken marsala.  It’s got cheese, vegetables, and garnishes, so it’s the perfect blend of fancy and delicious.

3. Quesadilla

Who says simple can’t be scrumptious?  Quesadillas, like salads, can be made to suit your tastes- add your choice of cheese, vegetables, beans and sauces!  They’re super easy and quick, just throw your ingredients into a tortilla and then onto a hot pan, and in five minutes you’ll have a great lunch with all the food groups.

4. Grilled cheese and tomato soup

Who can resist the pure goodness of melted cheese?  If you have a little extra time during lunch, step-up your grilled cheese game and add some tomato soup for dipping.  Or, if you don’t want a grilled cheese, stick to tomato soup and make it fancy with some grated parmesan cheese and croutons.

Dinner:

1. Mac and Cheese

Pasta is a necessary go-to for the meatless among us.  And what better pasta is there than one covered in melted cheese?  It’s easy to boil water and cook macaroni, then cover it in cheese, and it’s filling and delicious.  If you’re worried about your health, pair it with some carrots.  I wouldn’t, but you can.

2. Ramen

It’s a college student requirement.  For those days you want to treat yourself, impress your roommates, or reward yourself for that B- on your essay, make a broth and throw in tofu, scallions, rice and other vegetables to make a ramen worthy of the name.

3. Spaghetti Squash

Mix up the pasta game by substituting the noodles with zoodles. Spaghetti squash is delicious and much healthier than ordinary spaghetti.  It can be eaten the same way, with butter, oil, or a sauce of your choice.

4. Tofu and zucchini stir fry

Impress your guests with this easy stir fry idea: take some tofu and zucchini (or any vegetable you want) with some vegetable oil and stir it until everything is nice and fried.  All you need is tofu and vegetables, easy to get and yummy as heck.

Hi! My name is Laura, and I am a junior at the U of Scranton. I am a broadcasting major with a philosophy and criminal justice minor, and I enjoy knitting, archery and exercising for some reason.
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so