A Long List of Things You Should Stop Caring About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The less you care, the happier you’ll be. 

1- Stop caring about beauty standards.

Social media advertises unrealistic beauty standards. Society enforces these standards. Be your own kind of beautiful. Break away from conformity. 

2- Stop caring about fitting in. 

You are kind and smart. Stand out from the crowd. Be unique. Be you. Show off all your amazing and energetic qualities: personality, style, talents, and sense of humor. 

3- Stop caring about the past. 

The past is in the past and there’s no looking back. Keep moving forward. Past events do not define who you are. In fact, they make you stronger. 

4- Stop caring about having the perfect body. 

You are perfect the way you are. I believe that it is best to find balance in life. A healthy balance of junk food and exercise. Because let’s be real; abs aren’t everything. Sometimes a pint of Ben & Jerry’s is the only way to fix a bad day. 

5- Stop caring about pleasing others. 

Yup, I use to be a people pleaser. Teachers. Friends. Parents. I just wanted to make everyone happy. I prioritized others before myself and I had forgotten to make myself happy. Live your best life. Prioritize yourself. You deserve as much happiness as everyone else. 

6- Stop caring about people who do not care about you.

Retweet.Ah, as years go by, people come and go from our lives. But it is only the people who truly stand with us through it all who matter the most. 

7- Stop caring about wearing makeup and/or a bra every day. 

Do I even have to say anymore? 

8-Stop caring about gossip. 

Let the haters hate. Let the gossipers talk that ish. Don’t let the things they say get to you. 

9-Stop caring about being single. 

The world is your oyster. Go on a date with that cute boy from chem class. Go on a date with the boy you met in the library. Being single is a time where you can focus on you, but still have fun. 

10- Stop caring about others’ approval. 

You do not need anyone’s approval but your own. Do not let the fear of judgement or failure restrain you from going after what you want. Follow your heart. Follow your dreams. Reach for the stars and never stop. 

11- Stop caring about social media popularity. 

No number of followers, likes, or retweets defines your self-worth. Post pictures because you want to. Not because you want to gain followers or receive two million likes. 

12- Stop caring about what people think of you. 

I saved the best for last. You are an amazing person. Don’t let what others think about you get you down. Odds are, they haven’t met the real you. 

Mackenzie Mickavicz is a senior at The University of Scranton who majors in strategic communications with a public relations track and concentrations in women's and gender studies. This is her second year as CC of Her Campus Scranton. She loves coffee, candy and cupcakes.
Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.