Career

How to Rock Your Next Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Picture this;

It’s minutes before your big interview… you’re anxiously waiting to be called into the office, you’re sweating, the minutes feel like hours, and you can’t help but question if you missed your interview time. STOP. BREATHE. You’ve got this!  We’ve all experienced the panic before a meaningful interview, audition, or tryout. You want to rock the process and get the position; it’s understandable to be stressed about that. I know it’s easy to say, but there is no need to panic- follow this short guide and you’re guaranteed to crush your next interview! 

Before the interview:

• Brainstorm questions with your friends, family, or even pets. Be sure to anticipate questions about why you want the position and how you would benefit the company, team etc. if you were hired.
  • Do research. Know exactly what your signing up for, the history of the company, position etc. and be sure to know what is required of you if hired.
  • Get a good night sleep. A fresh face and an alert mind in the early morning can set you apart from the other sleepy applicants.
  • Shower and brush your teeth. Hygiene is one of the simplest things you can do to show the employer you are as put together as your resume says.

During the interview:

• Honesty is the best policy. Don’t lie about a skill set you do not have; the truth will come out eventually.
  • Be yourself. Your future employer will want YOU for a reason. Let your individuality do the talking.
  • Make good eye contact. This establishes maturity and shows that you are an active listener in conversation
  • Sit up straight. Good posture can make a big difference in the way you present yourself allowing you to look neater 
  • Always thank the employer at the end of the interview

After the interview:

• Send a thank you note or email. It shows that you are appreciative of the opportunity presented.
  • Relax. It’s over and you rocked it! Go and kick butt in that killer position!

Alexa Bobko

Scranton '22

Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.