This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I am one of the few people I know who have been in the same relationship since high school. So, I wanted to share some tips on how my boyfriend, and I make it work. 

PATIENCE

Patience is key; you both are at different places, and you have different lives. You have to understand that texts aren’t always sent within seconds. Constant communication is no longer possible even though, some see it as overcompensation for the distance. In this case, less is more because you’re only exhausting yourselves otherwise. 

SET GROUND RULES

Have an open communication about what you expect from one another so that no one is surprised. This can avoid dangerous situations possibly leading to an agreement. For example, if drinking late at a club with your friends is something your partner worries about, you can either avoid it or reassure your partner before you do so. 

STAY INTIMATE

This is where you can get creative to keep the flames burning. Sexual tension and desire are the glue of every relationship and even in an LDR it is important to send teasing text, sexy puns whatever works you and your partner. Take it as far as both parties are willing to go. 

VISIT EACH OTHER

Visiting one another can be seen as the highlight of every LDR. After waiting and practicing abstinence you finally get the chance to bask in the simple aspects of a relationship. This is when you can put all the text and phone calls into action. 

SET GOALS

It is very important to ask each other, “How long are we going to be apart?” and “What about the future?” LDR is not something that can last forever, eventually you have to plan with each other on where you both are going to settle down. These goals are also what is going to motivate to make the relationship to last. 

Through all of the challenges, I hope these tips help your relationships thrive. 

Deniya Thompson

Scranton '20

Hi everyone, I'm Deniya you can call me Niya. I am a junior at Scranton born and raised in Brooklyn New York. I love to dance and I am a performer at heart. I am have a very animated character so be ready and I am a twin so you have to be twice as ready.