Style > Decor

How to create a mood board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

So, freshman year my dorm décor was seriously lacking, and this year I really wanted to step it up. I looked into a bunch of décor ideas. I’ve included lots of succulents, plants, a framed poster version the Prada Marfa sign on Gossip Girl, a photo wall of my favorite people, and more. One of my favorites that is perfect if you want to fill up any dull wall space, is a mood board. I have mine combined with my tapestry and I’m obsessed. 

If you’re interested in creating your own mood board for your space, keep reading :)

Look for Inspiration 

I themed it around the blush color that my room is themed around. I found my inspiration on Pinterest and blogs. 

Creating your Pinterest board & Picking your color scheme

You want to pick a color scheme that works with the room you are making the mood board wall in. Look on Pinterest, Instagram, or Tumblr. Find pins that give you inspiration and make you happy to look at. This will give you good idea of how your mood board will turn out before you put it together. If you don’t have Pinterest, you can make an album on your phone, and put all your pictures in there. It’s also super cool to use some of your own photos.

After you make your Pinterest board/photo album

Once you have your photos ready, save them to a file in your computer. I went to CVS, but you can go to any local store where your pictures can be printed. 

Pick up your photos & get ready to create your mood board

You’ll need scotch tape and scissors. Lay out your photos and get a good idea of how you want to lay them out!

& You’re ready to go! Put your mood board up!!

HCXO,

Carly

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.