Fighting Political Apathy As Told By College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Going to a school on a politically apathetic campus can be frankly frustrating as someone who is very politically active. As the Vice President of my school’s chapter of College Democrats, we have to focus on getting students to care about politics regardless of their party, seldom ever getting to plan a rally like other schools.

And don’t get me wrong, I love being a part of it. It’s super important to help other become more politically active. And it’s not just my college. Historically, college students vote less, and are less politically involved. It is true that after the 2016 election, college students interest in politics soared – thanks to many candidates like Bernie Sanders who actually focused on the needs of his younger constituents. However, it still isn’t enough.  It’s super important as college students that we do get out and vote – whether it is for local elections, state elections, or presidential elections. 

The people voted into office now will shape policies that will affect our lives in many ways. And it’s deeply concerning and honestly scary that many people don’t see that. Politics really do affect so many areas of our lives, regardless of our field of study. 

Instead of harping on the politically apathy of college students, this article aims to show what makes students at our University actually want to get out and vote. As a baseline, I talked to my quad mate Abby, who happened to write a research paper on this topic. Her paper suggests college students are most likely to engage politically if the issues are about gun control, legalizing marijuana, the cost of college, and raising the minimum wage. 

We asked about 20 University of Scranton students’ what issues would actually make them get out and vote. Full transparency: some people didn’t have an answer or were more concerned with what people had already said. As disconcerting as that may be, we did get 10 responses we listed below on what makes college students want to get out and vote – regardless of political affiliation, major, or age. 

Economic Inequality – Abby | Polisci/History Major

“It is despicable that multi-billionares hoard their money, and spend on frivolous things that have no true meaning or value, instead of helping the less fortunate. Tech CEOs steal from and take advantage of middle and working class people. The multi-millionares and billionares in this country could solve a lot of the worlds issues – like world hunger – and use their money for the common good. But they choose to buy into flexing culture, and materliasm instead of doing anything to help the common good.”

Education in intercities – Nadia | Business Administration Major

“For me, education in the intercities because of my experience in my own public school system due to lack of funding. All students students should have equal access to quality education.”

Free College – India | Counselling and Human Services

“College students want to be debt free. This is a great way to get students to vote because they know this will help them save on tuition, so they will gladly participate politically.”

Reproductive Rights – Amanda | Neuroscience

“It’s 2020 and I should get to make decisions about what’s best for my body.”

Health Care – Andrew | Political Science / Psych

“One of the first things I was told in college was that nothing matters when you’re not healthy. Healthcare being inaccessible makes it impossible to help yourself or “pull yourself up by your bootstraps”, whatever the hell that means. The more I learn about how interconnected mental and physical health is (e.g., the ACEs Study), the more I refuse to compromise on it.

Reproductive Rights –  Mackenzie | Strategic Communications

“Reproductive rights because every woman has the right to make her own decisions relating to her body and as politics advance it is evident that there are more restrictions relating to this matter”

College Tuition/Health Care – Alessia | Strategic Communications

“College tuition or health care because it affects me most at this point in my life”

Climate Change / Equal Rights – Jessica | HR Major

“I want a candidate who really cares for all people no matter who they are and who wants to help the environment.”

Education – Emily | Public Health

“I think education is super important when it comes to everything. You hear a lot about how people aren’t educated in not only the basic subjects in school but public health issues, which is also really important for the country. Without being educated on public health issues there is a lack of knowing which is very dangerous.”

Health Care – Nicole | International Studies

“For me, it’s Health care. I have hearing problems that require a hearing aid, which I can’t get because my insurance won’t cover it because they say it’s cosmetic.”

Despite the fact that we live on a politically apathetic campus, it is important to focus on the fact that politics affect all of our lives. If all of these students can think of an issue that makes them want to go out and vote, you can too. So whether it’s your local, state, or the presidential election – get out and vote. 

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.