This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Mental health—its importance is so under-talked about and so over-shamed. The truth is that your mental health is just as, if not more, important than your physical health. 

A few months ago, I was in a really rough patch in my life. I refused to reach out for help until my one friend suggested I start seeing a therapist. I swallowed my pride, took her advice and went. After a few sessions of therapy, my therapist suggested I start taking medication to boost my mood, and I really had something against going on medication for whatever reason (looking back, it was because I had this stigma that seeking mental health help meant there was something wrong with me). A few sessions later, I once again swallowed my pride and went on medication that ended up truly helping my well-being. 

Even though I was going to therapy and was on medication, I was still really embarrassed about the fact I needed help. I would tell my roommate I had class, not therapy. I told no one, not even my parents, that I was on medication because I felt like admitting these things would truly mean I’m broken—there’s something wrong with me.

As the months passed, I became more and more open to those close to me about seeing a therapist and taking medication because I started to realize that I wasn’t alone in what I was going through.

Mental health issues are so much more common than you think, and it is encouraged to seek help. I was too scared to seek help at first because I thought I’d be seen as less of a person, because I had this stigma about mental health. This stigma makes us as a society dance around this topic, and it can stop some from seeking help. Don’t let this stigma stop you from seeking help—it’s okay to ask for help. 

Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.