This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Minors often have practical applications that make you more marketable in your resume. They allow you to specialize in a subcategory of your major and develop a useful related skill. For example: a business major with a communication minor, biology with a chemistry minor, or criminal justice with a psychology minor. These minors might unlock opportunities for graduate schools or a broader job market than your major alone. Minors related to your major also indicate that you have an interest in the subject and took the time to pursue it. 

However, your minor does not need to be related to your major at all! In fact, something in a different field has a similar effect on your marketability and might make your college experience more enjoyable. Even if you think it will be useless, too different from your major, or a waste of time, I suggest going for it. These are the minors that are built upon interest. They develop curiosity and let you learn more about the subjects of your 3 am documentary binges. A ‘guilty pleasure’ minor also has more practical use than you would probably expect. On paper, a strange minor makes you stand out. It shows you are a three-dimensional person with interests in other things. It shows that you took the time to learn something just because you wanted to. An unexpected minor makes you seem quirky and might open unexpected opportunities. 

As for your sanity, school is stressful! It’s easy to fall into your day-to-day agenda of classes in you major that have lost their appeal. Even if you really like your major, everyone must take classes they couldn’t care less about. A minor is a good way to use your humanities or free electives and keep you engaged in school and working towards your goal. Sprinkling your schedule with classes that fulfill your interests might make your day more bearable and alleviate the stress of your major classes.

For context, I am a senior Environmental Science major with an Art History minor. What does the environment have to do with Roman art? Very little, but I chose to minor in art history because it makes me think differently. I took first art history class just to fill my humanities requirements, but I was hooked. Interpreting and writing about art was surprisingly enjoyable and required a completely different thought process than I am used to. Instead of using the logical and problem-solving mind of a scientist, I was expected to be expressive, contemplative, and creative. My art history minor is currently in the works, and I genuinely believe I am a better student and job candidate because of it. While I will likely never be an art museum curator or a painting restorationist, my minor has made me a better communicator, more observant, and have a greater appreciation for art. These skills will likely become handy in my scientific career.

So, in summary, minors are good! If you have the time and the open credits to pursue one, I suggest it! Regardless of the subject matter, a minor will help you develop skills that will be useful in your career or make you a more interesting candidate for jobs or grad schools. Minors give you a new perspective and allow you to explore interests you no matter how ‘impractical’ they may seem.

Laura Ellwood

Scranton '22

I'm a senior Environmental Science major at the University of Scranton who loves hiking, reading, and cats. I am passionate about music and living sustainably.