Style > Beauty

A Collegiate’s Guide to Skin Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As collegiates, now is the best time to start taking care of our skin. Going into our twenties, our skin is going to slow down on producing collagen which will cause reduced cell turn over. I know – that’s a lot to process. All it really means is if we start introducing better skincare now, we will have to do less later. 

Skin Care can be intimidating. There are so many different products, and you don’t know if they will go with your skin type. Don’t fret, collegiate! This article is going to explain all the skincare basics!

• Picking the right cleanser with the right PH

First of all, wash your face everyday. This is obvious. What most people don’t know is the PH of your cleanser might be wreaking havoc on your skin. The PH scale ranges from 0 to 14. Our skin’s natural PH is around 5.5. Some cleansers are super harsh and around a 3. This can cause redness, dry patches, and breakouts. A cleanser that pretty much every dermatologist and esthetician recommends, regardless of skin type, is the Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser. The PH is perfect for your face and will not be to harsh. 

• Don’t shy away from acids

I totally get that the idea of putting an “acid” on your face can be intimidating. Don’t shy away from using them in your skin care routine; they offer some major benefits you can’t get elsewhere. The key is knowing your skin type. For example, if you have dry skin, I’d recommend Hyaluronic Acid. Hyaluronic Acid helps absorb water in to the skin and creates a “bouncy” look. The Ordinary makes a great one and so does Neutrogena! Salicylic Acid is in many masks and spot treatments as it targets acne. It is ideal for acne prone skin. The Ordinary makes another great serum with Niacinamide. It is great for congested acne prone skin. These are just the basics; look further into the types of acids for your skin concerns!

• What is a toner?

So basically, a toner looks like water and acts like water. But, I swear it’s not water! It’s packed with so much more than hydrogen and oxygen. Depending on the toner, it can also contain acids, glycerin, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatories. People with acne-prone skin typically swear by Glossier’s The Solution. Glycolic Acids in toners can be beneficial to all skin types. It is a chemical exfoliant that will remove dead skin cells and leave your skin super smooth. 

• Moisturizer is for all skins type

Okay, this one is for oily skin. If you have oily skin you still need to moisturize. This can not be said enough. If you have oily skin and use a cleanser, but don’t moisturize, the oil you strip is not going back into the skin. This messes up your skins PH and cause the overproduction of oil. Every skin type should moisturize. Just depending on your skin type, the type of moisturizer should vary.

I hope this article helped open your eyes to skin care, and how to better your current skincare routine. 

HCXO, 

Carly

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.