The Collab of the Century: Spotify and Hulu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Amidst Apple’s annual IPhone release, Hulu and Spotify have teamed up to bring you a one-of-a-kind deal!

Spotify and Hulu both sent out press releases Thursday on their latest collaboration. In Spotify’s statement it said, “Starting today, eligible students can sign up for Spotify Premium for Students, now with Hulu to not only stream music but also their favorite television shows and movies through a single subscription plan, at just $4.99 a month.”

In today’s market, it takes a lot to stand out from competitors. This collaboration was beautifully thought out because of its unbeatable deal. It offers two great streaming products for the price of one, it allows for the brands to gain exposure and increase brand loyalty, and targets the perfect audience.

The most popular online video streaming services are Hulu and Netflix. If you were to buy a Hulu subscription, you have one of two options: $11.99/ month with no commercials or $7.99 with limited commercials. If you were to buy a Netflix subscription, plans start at $7.99/month and go up to $11.99/month. The most popular online music streaming services are Spotify and Apple Music. If you were to purchase a Spotify subscription, it is $9.99/month or $4.99/month if you are a student. If you were to purchase an Apple Music subscription, it is available for the same pricing. Before this collaboration, Hulu/Netflix and Spotify/Apple Music offered competitive prices, so when deciding which to subscribe to, it came down to personal preference. Now that they have merged, you are able to save $12.99 and get both amazing services for the price of one.

This deal may not bring the most revenue in for either of the corporations but it will bring a lot of exposure and hopefully convert some devoted Apple Music and Netflix users. One of the most valuable thing a company can have is brand loyalty and this is the perfect way to get consumer conversion and exposure.

However, this deal is not available for all Spotify users. In order to claim the Hulu and Spotify package, you must be a resident of the United States and be an undergrad at a title IV accredited college or university. The target audience for this deal is millennials and Gen Z’s, and nothing draws us in like low prices and streaming services!

I have always been a loyal Netflix user but considering I already use Spotify Premium for Students, I am so excited to be able to have access to Hulu. Who knows, maybe this deal will make me love Hulu as much, or even more than I love Netflix.  If you want more information on how to sign up to get Hulu and Spotify for only $4.99, go to Spotify.com/us/student. 

Laura Riemer is a strategic communication major with a concetration in public relations. She also has three minors in finance, accounting and business. She hopes to continue her education by getting her masters in something in the realm of finance. Laura enjoys writing, listening to music, hanging out with her friends and traveling. She went to England, Scotland and Greece during high school and hopes to have a career that that allows her to continue her travels. 
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so