This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

If there is one thing that I enjoy too much, it is shopping. I don’t find myself going to stores as much anymore, but I do often find myself surfing the Internet looking for all sorts of things. With Black Friday just over a week away, here are some helpful tips that I have before you start the craziness of holiday shopping!

1. You can start shopping now!

Honestly, Black Friday is hardly just deals on Friday anymore. I know that I have already started receiving texts and emails from some of my favorite brands about sales that are currently happening (some as early as the first week of November!) So don’t feel like you need to save all your shopping for one day, you can get a head start now.

2. Check the in-store availability of an item before you go!

It’s likely that the item you want, a lot of other people also want. Sometimes a store may be sold out or may not even carry the item that you want in person. To avoid the aggravation of driving to a store just for them to not have what it is you want, check the availability of the item in given store online first. And if it’s not available in store, you can order it online!

3. Check a store’s return policy before you buy!

Often, given the extremely discounted price of items, this changes other operations of a store, such as limiting their return policy. So, if you are buying something which you are unsure if you or someone else will use, make sure to ensure that there is a return policy still allowed on the item.

4. Remember your budget!!!

I think that this is the most important tip for Black Friday shopping (or just shopping in general). When there are a ton of sales during the holiday season, it can be easy to lose track of your spending. I find it easy to budget myself on how much money I plan to spend on each person who I am buying for. This keeps my spending within reason (especially as a college student!!)

Hi! I am Brooke and I am a student at the University of Scranton. I am majoring in Occupational Therapy. When I am not cramming in school work (lol) I love spending my time with friends going out to eat, shopping, watching movies, and more. I am a new member to HC this year and I am very excited to see where this experience brings my friends and me!