This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

By Ethan Connors

Joining the LIVA Arts Company was one of the last things I thought I would do in my college career. I believed my theater career came to a close after my Senior year of high school, a week before the COVID lockdown. I wouldn’t consider myself to be a “Theater Kid”, just someone who loves to perform and entertain. I never went to a drama school or had singing lessons. My high school had a theater hierarchy. They certainly had their “favorites.” It was a major turn off and I started to lose interest in performing.

I recall seeing a production of RENT for the first time on a field trip to Montclair State University’s Vanguard Theater during my Junior year of high school in 2018. I remember being so captivated and fell in love with Angel. The complexity of the character as well as the challenging dancing, vocals and witty humor drew in the audience’s undivided attention. I never imagined that I would get the opportunity to play such a monumental and iconic role in the Broadway world.

During my sophomore year, I found out LIVA was putting on RENT for the fall semester of my junior year. My friends in LIVA expressed their excitement for their upcoming auditions and encouraged me to sign up. I really didn’t think about it until the fall semester came up, and I decided to audition at the last minute. Showing up to the auditions and the callback for Angel felt nostalgic, following a process that I haven’t done in a few years.

When I received the cast list and saw my name next to Angel Dumott Schunard, I was excited to begin rehearsals! However, I worried about the challenges I would eventually face, such as learning how to walk in heels and singing in a very high register. Over the course of two months, I had so much fun experimenting with the music, different outfits, choreography in heels and creating my own personality for Angel.

I have made such talented friends in LIVA who inspired me to continue in theater. Every time I walked into the room with a new piece to my costumes, they would hype me up and make me feel comfortable being outside of my comfort zone. Compared to my high school theater program, everyone was just happy to be there and supported each other through everything. I was able to meet people who study in different fields and in different schools within the University who I would never have met!

My family and friends have been very supportive. I never would have thought the role I was so amazed by during my junior year of high school would become my reality junior year of college. Working with RENT’s cast and crew made it an experience I will never forget. As exhausted as everyone was by the end, we were glad with how the final product turned out and the audiences’ reactions made it even better!

Aimee Mockler

Scranton '24

Hi! I am one of the Campus Correspondents of HerCampus at the University of Scranton. I am a third-year occupational therapy major with a minor in psychology. I love to bake and also participate in theater on campus!