5 Reasons to Love Your Single Self on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As we all know, the most dreadful day of the year is coming up for single gals: February 14, also known as Valentine’s Day. Let me tell ya, I’ve been single for the past three years and my “single girl swag” Valentine’s Days’ haven’t always been filled with candy and flowers, but they were certainly memorable! My first single Valentine’s Day after breaking up with my ex was by far the worst…I had a hot date with the gynecologist. My second single Valentine’s Day was spent with my roommate accompanied by a communal stomach flu. We were sitting side-by-side, with our heads in garbage cans. My third single Valentine’s Day, was fortunately spent studying abroad in Australia, but the most love I received that day was from a koala that showed affection by scratching my entire chest.

This Valentine’s Day, HC Scranton wants all of you single ladies to embrace self-love and celebrate the fact that you’re a 10/10. Here are some reasons to enjoy this solo Valentine’s Day…

You can spend the day stuck with your celebrity crush.

Who cares if its through a TV screen?! Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to binge watch Ryan Gosling, beginning with The Notebook and ending with Crazy, Stupid, Love. If you want, kick it up a notch and make a visit to Mr. Christian Grey at the movie theater! Let yourself be mesmerized by beauty.

You have no pressure.

This Hallmark holiday causes many people to define or, unfortunately break off their relationships. Meanwhile, you are free to have absolutely no worries about your relationship status. In addition, you won’t have to worry if he’s allergic to the peanuts in the box of chocolates you gave him or fitting into skinny jeans for a mediocre dinner.

You have a perfect excuse to hang with your single gal pals.

Channel your inner Carrie Bradshaw. Rally up your Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte and let the good times roll.  Since Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday you can have a girls night in or out! As cliché as it sounds, we all know nothing beats some sushi, sipping wine and spilling gossip with your favorite people

You will have money to b-l-o-w.

While your parents are going to an extravagant dinner, your best friend is bomb texting you on what generic north face jacket she is going to buy her boyfriend and your second grade sister is splurging on candy for classmates. What are you buying? NOTHING! You’ll thank your broke college-self later.

You have the best person in the world to love…

YOURSELF! Revolve the day only around things you love! Light some candles, re-read your favorite book, eat a mountain of ice cream, and dance in your freakin’ underwear! Accomplish whatever tickles your fancy. Love your beautiful self and don’t feel any guilt. You’re the best!

Hailing from New Jersey, Donna is just as loving as her last name portrays her to be. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Entrepreneurship. She is positive that the song "Rather Be" was written about her past semester studying abroad in Australia. Donna lives for the dance floor, her three dogs and frozen yogurt. If you see her without her signature pearl earrings, just please, offer a sister some lovin. Follow her on Instagram @d0nzette & Twitter @DAmore55 !
Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!