Why you should study aboard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Before I even start the article, you need to know…. Studying abroad is one of the best decisions you will ever make.

I was lucky enough to study abroad my fall quarter of sophomore year. The opportunity was in placed in south France. What I thought the trip would be and what my experience really was crazy different and I thought the high light of my trip would be going to Paris to see the Effie Tower. But going to Europe, I was lucky enough to travel to ten small cities in south France as well as Paris, London, and Rome, Italy. I learned quite a bit about myself as well as how the other half of the world lives.

So let’s start from the beginning. If you’re unsure about traveling abroad, I understand your dilemma. I was in the same position before applying. You’re thinking about how you’ve always wanted to travel to a different country but you can’t afford the trip, or you don’t have the time, or you don’t think you’ll graduate on time. Alright, forget about all of the cons. Fast forward as to where you see yourself in 15 years. Do you have a family? With the job you have then and possibly a family, will you be able to travel with a family or even have the time to travel? Most likely, no. This is when you need to turn those cons into pros. If you don’t have the money, try getting a scholarship, a loan, or as your family for some early birthday cash. I know most people hate the idea of loans, but sometime we all need a little help. If you think you don’t have time, make time. Believe me, it is so worth it! If you don’t think you’ll graduate on time, work with your consular, that’s what they’re there for! Have a little fate in what I am saying and just go for it!

If you need so motivation, think about the food! Europe as the most tasteful food in the entire world!  You think your mother’s recipes are good? You’ve never had a pasta dish in Italy! You also get to see major landmarks, like Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, and so much more! Do I really need to say more?

Europe offered amazing sites and food, but I also learned a lot about myself. Before I lived in France for two months, I had this idea that I wasn’t spoiled and I wasn’t controlled by technology; I was so down to earth and I was the most caring person I could be. When you travel abroad, you get a wakeup call. Yes you can still use your technology, but it’s not needed. My first day in France, my roommate and I just sat in our room with the window wide own and listened. Silence. No cars, no sirens, very few people… silence. It was beautiful! That peaceful silence stayed with me the entire trip, and it made me think. Think about how dependent I have been on my technology (I had no desire to ever go on an social media site, unless I need to show the world how beautiful France was) and how I could be a better person.

When I came home, I remember I saw most of my friends within the first three days of being back. In my mind, I would tell them all these amazing stories and they would have all these questions with this look of happiness and excitement gleaming in their eyes. I was way wrong; this comes into play with being a better person. When my friends first saw me, I get the typical question “How was France?” This is where I would go off, tell them everything! And that when the blank stares come into play and then I get the line “Cool, well while you were gone…” and then they all go on about the small dramas that honestly mean nothing. This is where I could tell studying abroad changed me.  My friends didn’t care about the amazing churches I got to tour, the painting I got to come face to face with that we only ever got to read about, or the fact that I got to live in a whole new culture. No, they had what I like to call petti drama. While in France I experienced so much culture full of love and appreciation but here in America, we all just expect things.

In the end, I had so happy I decided to travel abroad. I made amazing friendships, lived with the natives that took me in as family from day one, I learned more about my true self and what I want to do with my career, and lastly I really truly experience life.

So what are you waiting for? Don’t take life for granted… Just Go.