What You Need to Know About the Rhetoric of #BlackLivesMatter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Language is one of the most powerful tools for inciting social change. Word choice can make or break your argument and with topics as sensitive as race, everything you say matters. Many times we use words or phrases without knowing their complete contextual meaning, so this is a quick guide to what you might encounter when discussing race and more specifically, #BlackLivesMatter.

image courtesy of Snopes

Race: the aspect of identity based on physical characteristics.

Ethnicity: a shared origin or culture based on shared activities and identity.

A lot of times race and ethnicity are used interchangeably, which can be the source of confusion. For example, a person’s ethnicity can be Middle Eastern but their race would be white. Keep this in mind when describing someone so you don’t inadverntently offend them.

Institutional racism: the collective patterns and practices that help to entrench racial inequality. An example would be employer bias against applicants with black-sounding names regardless of their qualifications.

White privilege: the entitlement one has in everyday life because they are white. An example is the fact that white people are not typically subject to racial profiling. Recognizing privilige is the first step toward helping those who do not experience it.

image courtesy of This Renegade Love

#BlackLivesMatter: a social movement that started as a social media hashtag and protests police brutality and racial inequality against the African-American community.

#AllLivesMatter: a hashtag that was created in response to #BlackLivesMatter that supporters argue is more inclusive. Many have a problem with this hashtag since it can be seen as invalidating and drawing attention away from racism in America.

Race is one of the most frequently talked about social issues in contemporary America and its relevance is even more important with the upcoming presidential election. By having a good idea of the terminology involved when discussing #BlackLivesMatter, you can more accurately express your opinion and even help further the movement yourself.