Saying Goodbye- For Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

We have ten more days until spring quarter is over. Ten more days of finals stress, packing, seeing friends one last time, and enjoying life in Savannah. Some of us will stay for the summer, but others, including me, will go home. Last year I went home for the summer, knowing I would be back in mid-September to see all of my friends once again. This year, it’s different, and definitely sad to say goodbye. I’ll be going to SCAD Hong Kong in the fall, and spending winter break at home. This means when I say goodbye on May 30th, I’ll be saying goodbye until January of 2015. When I thought about what to write as my last post for the year, it only seemed fitting to write about my second home. Here are some things I’m saying “goodbye for now” to.

1. Savannah’s southern charm: When I first came to visit SCAD, I noticed the southern charm in Savannah right away. Whether it’s the older ladies walking through the squares in big hats on their way to their beautiful homes, the men singing music under the tunnel on River Street, or the way the locals seem to constantly be proud of their home and eager to show it off, there is so much about Savannah that makes it a charming and beautiful place to live. It’s hard to leave, because I have come to love this place, as much as it drives me crazy sometimes. I know I will be back, and that I’ll cherish it even more, but for now, I will say goodbye.

2. Forsyth Park: The place of the Sidewalk Arts Festival, concerts, movies in the park, and the place I love to run around and people watch. Forsyth Park is one of, if not the most, beautiful places in Savannah, and I’ve recently discovered my absolute love for the Spanish moss covered trees, the secret garden, the fountain, and the abundance of people who come daily to enjoy the park, the green grass, the playground, and the sidewalks to run on. As I think about going to Hong Kong, I know that I won’t have a place just like Forsyth Park. I’m already looking forward to my first run at the park when I return, but right now it’s time to say goodbye.

3. The long walk up the hill to downtown: This is the first thing I can honestly say I won’t miss. Okay, maybe a little. The walk up the hill isn’t the best part of my day, but what’s at the top normally is. Whether I’m walking up to go shopping, out to eat, or to visit friends at O-House, there’s always a reward for walking up the long hill from Boundary Village. I’ll miss this walk just a little bit, but this could be the easiest thing for me to say goodbye to.

4. The bus system: Oh SCAD bus system, you drive me insane. When I found out there’s only one bus to get you to campus in Hong Kong, I was ecstatic. Life is going to be so much easier. I’ll miss the friendly bus drivers, the people watching, and the unexpected detours. Sometimes it is fun to ride the buses, but I really don’t mind saying goodbye for the next seven months.

5. Savannah at night: Whether I’m on River Street, Bay Street, in City Market, or walking any random street back from a house party, I love Savannah at night. It’s a whole different side of the city and the people who live here. Sure, it can be a little sketchy sometimes, but I have never had a bad experience. Because I stay well aware of my surroundings and stick with my group of friends, I stay safe. I’m really going to miss Savannah at nighttime. I’ll miss running into La Berry for late night fro-yo, or going into every single Savannah Candy Kitchen just to get praline samples. I’m going to miss First Friday Fireworks, and the view from River Street. I know that everything will be here when I get back, so I’ll suck it up and say goodbye.

6. Wonderful friends: I don’t know if y’all know, but my friends are the bee’s knees. They’re the cat’s meow. They’re the greatest thing since sliced bread. Whatever, they’re awesome. Oh my goodness I don’t want to leave my friends. Not one bit. I’m going to miss them like crazy. I know they’ll be here when I return (listen, none of you can go anywhere winter quarter.) but it’s so sad to leave them. We have the best times together, and I’m really going to miss everything about each and every one of you. A year ago I probably could have counted my friends on one hand, but today I think I could make a post that is just their names! I’m so blessed to have made such beautiful, creative, caring, and adventurous friends. I love each of you so much, and I’ll miss you terribly. I don’t want to say goodbye, but it’s just for now.

7. Tourists: The tourists in this town are something else. In Maine we obviously have a lot of tourists, but I’m from a really small town, so unless I go on a long drive to a popular area, I don’t really encounter many tourists. Savannah is a completely different story. Heck, I moved to a tourist town. We have trolley rides, so many sights to see, and even Paula Deen’s! I’m going to miss seeing the tourists’ look absolutely lost, and the joy on their face when I offer to help them flip their map the correct way so that they can find where they need to be. I’ll miss seeing the line at Lady and Son’s be so long, and wanting to run up to tell them a million non-touristy spots that are so delicious and have practically no line. This coming September, I suppose I’ll become a tourist in Hong Kong. So, goodbye Savannah tourists, it’s my turn now.

8. Delicious food: I love to eat. My friends love to eat. In fact, my dad once said to me, “you know, you can hangout with your friends and do something other than eat.” Sure dad, but that wouldn’t be any fun. There are so many great places in Savannah to eat, and I’m sure that by the time I graduate, I still will have missed out on a few! I like to be really adventurous and go to new places all the time. Next January when I get back, I want to try alligator. My friends say it tastes like chicken. I’ll miss all of the southern food chains, and late night runs to Sonic. Goodbye Savannah food, and goodbye Sonic.

9. My best friend: This is a hard one. Probably should have thrown this into my “wonderful friends” category to make it easier on everyone (including myself), but this girl deserves her own post. I’m really sad to leave my best friend. A little over a year ago I met this sweet southern girl from Alabama in my English class. I had just gone through the end of a friendship, and I was feeling pretty alone. She started to invite me to her dorm, and would invite me places when her and her friends were doing something. I didn’t know we were going to be close, but I guess you never really know. She has gotten me through some pretty rough moments this past year. I have incredible amounts of fun with her, and time flies by way too fast when we’re together. I drive her crazy with my insane stress levels, and she balances me out with her go with the flow attitude. Whether we’re on a long road trip to Alabama, eating buffalo shrimp at Stingray’s, or having a sleepover at her apartment, she makes life fun and super enjoyable. I could write about my best friend for hours, but I’ll cut myself off. The point is, I’m lucky to have you Emily, I love you so much, I had the best year with you, and I’m really going to miss you. I’ll see you soon so we can catch up on life while we eat food- as always. Goodbye, but just for now.

I'm a junior at SCAD Savannah where I study Advertising. I've also been lucky to travel to SCAD Hong Kong for fall quarter of my junior year. This is my second year writing for Her Campus and I'm really enjoying it. I love the Red Sox, country music, playing golf and being with my friends. I hope you enjoy my posts!