This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

By: Bethany Alves 

“True Confidence leaves no room for jealousy. When you know you are great you have no need to hate.”

This was a quote from the most influential women in the Rap Music industry, Nicki Minaj. Earlier this week it was announce she was the first female rapper to sell five million copies of every album she had ever released. But how did she get here? Her journey began back in 2007 when she was discovered in Queens New York by Fendi, the CEO of dirty money records. He signed her to his label and in 2007 she released mix tapes with Lil Wayne beginning her rapping career. Before then she was living a very conservative life. She did not have very much money and could not afford college. Soon after in 2008 Nicki won her first music award for best female artist of the year at the underground music awards. Her fame did not end there. Her second album was a global hit, it was number one in the UK, Canada, the United States and Australia. Since then she has been nominated for 277 different awards and has won 95. This has made her the most awarded female rapper in history.

Recently many people have been comparing her to Cardi B. Another women rapper who became a hit in 2017, exactly ten years after Nicki. Like Nicki she came up from nothing and had several hits within her first year. However, both girls have their own styles and lives. Nicki and Cardi had a feud starting with Cardi’s release of Bodak Yellow. Nicki Claims Cardi has stolen her style and many of her fans are backing her up by trying to keep Cardi off the number one spot. However, it seems they are putting there differences aside. Immediately after Bodak yellow hit the number one spot Nikki Publicly Congratulated Cardi saying “Congratulations to a fellow NEWYAWKA on a record breaking achievement. Bardi, this is the only thing that matters!!! Enjoy it.” Both Nikki and Cardi appeared in the song Motorsport which was released in October 2017. Ever since they have both been supporting each other in their male dominated career.

Nicki empowers many women as an icon for being your best self. She shares many of her views in her music and interviews with the public explaining her ideals. She says “I always want women to feel in control because we are capable- we’re so capable.” Nikki makes many remarks towards women’s rights and wants every woman to feel as empowered as she does. In one interview she talks about how she believes women should always dress sexy and show what they have because that’s what men do. She is continuing to be a female role model as she continues her career. Her Next album has not been announced yet but millions are eagerly waiting for this female rappers next worldwide hit.

Amy Kulp is a Senior at Savannah College of Art and Design, majoring in Fashion Marketing and Management. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she is either working on her own styling business, shopping, or performing in theatre productions. When she graduates, she plans on moving to New York City and working either as a personal stylist or as a creative director with one of the many fashion houses New York has to offer.