Million Dollar Smile! Campus Cutie: Jamal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.
Hometown: Mayesville, SC
Year: Senior
Major: Sequential Art
Relationship Status: Solo Dolo aka Lonely Warrior aka One Band aka I just wanna be held aka Tenisha be playing aka Single

Her Campus: Oh my gosh, you’re such a sap! So original. But to the point… You’re on the final stretch! You’ll be graduating soon. What has been your most exciting experience at SCAD so far?

Jamal: I know right?! It’s a trip… most exciting experience at SCAD honestly has been development as a person. I’ve learned that I want to use my storytelling abilities to help people believe in themeselves and just be a good servant to Allah (God). I’m a lot more confident in myself where as I used to be really shy and I’m not as naïve as I used to be. The growth is due to the people I’ve meet at sSCAD; I’ve learned a lot about people which in return means I’ve learned more about myself since we’re all connected and what not. I don’t think I could have experienced this kind of growth anywhere else. Everything is at it should be”

HC: That was deep. What made you decide to attend school here?

Jamal: I came to SCAD because I didn’t get accepted at another school in California..which turned out to be the better move since it was closer to home, and I still got to leave home and experience people and refrain my master plan for world domination (muhahahaha).

**awkward silence & blank stares**

HC: …Moving on. You’ve served as the President of our Black Student Association going on two years. What has been the most rewarding part about that?

Jamal: Yes indeed BSA has definitely been one the most rewarding parts of being at SCAD because it forced me into the leadership role that I’ve always wanted. I still have a lot to learn of course and BSA isn’t where I want it to be just yet but it will be by the time I graduate (ask and you shall receive). It also taught/is teaching me to also stick with my guns… A Night of Poetry & Music is by far one of the dopest things I’ve had the pleasure of helping put together and be unifying people and what not which is ill.

HC: Awesome! I do love the Poetry Nights… What are some of your favorite things to do around Savannah?

Jamal: I’m an old man at the end of the day. I spend most of my time riding my bike, listening to music, ducking and dodging cars (it’s a thrill midlife crisis you know what I mean!?). I enjoy goofing off with my friends, I enjoy walks in the park, I enjoy overall just traveling around Savannah with good friends, and since I’m an elderly person I enjoy going out to parties and swaggin out aka getting down with my bad self.

HC: Give me an interesting but true “Never have I ever…”

Jamal: Never have I ever seen Titanic…

HC: Good. You don’t want to. What’s something that you always look for in a significant other?

Jamal: I look for someone who believes in God, has a good sense of humor, witty, smart, comfortable with themselves, loves themselves, hard working, knows what they want out of life, chill, humble, overall a kind person, yet strong-willed.

HC: Favorite food?

Jamal: Pizza

HC: Favorite movie?

Jamal: Forrest Gump

HC: Where can you usually be found on campus?

Jamal: I’m usually in Dyson Lab. I kinda live there.

Say hello and give a huge wave to this cutie when you see him on campus! It’ll make him smile, which will do the same for you in turn. & who doesn’t love that? You can follow him on Instagram @crowjones45!
My name is Tenisha, and I’m a junior Fashion Marketing student at the Savannah College of Art & Design. I am so excited to be a HerCampus writer this year! I am new to the team, and will be writing Campus Cuties articles in the coming months. Some of my interests include sports, music, traveling, and fashion of course. I was an athlete in high school, and I love to participate in different intramural sports whenever those times come around. I sing, so I love all types of music. Neo-Soul, jazz and rhythm and blues are my favorites, and concerts actually account for a lot of the traveling that I do these days. I’d say growing up in a military family gave me a love for that. And last but definitely not least, there’s fashion. If I had to describe my style with one word, honestly, I don’t think I could do it — I think that’s the beauty of fashion and style. It’s all a form of self-expression on the outside that gives people a small taste of who you are, or even what you’re feeling on the inside. My biggest fashion inspiration is Solange Knowles. She has impeccable taste, great music, and not to mention an amazing big sister who happens to be my favorite artist (hello, Beyoncé)! Like Solange, I love bold prints, bright colors, and pieces that are simply unique & eccentric. I just like to have fun with it! I have a fashion and lifestyle blog, Establish the New Black, where I document my personal style, inspiration, and some daily happenings pertaining to the world of fashion. I am truly excited to build on my writing and journalism skills through this internship. This is going to be a great semester, and I look forward to sharing this journey with you!