This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Meet May’s first week of campus cuties, Bhavana Shyamsundar and Heather Cusic. What I love about these ladies is that they have so much in common. They both are from Maryland, have May birthdays,  have the same cultural interests, and like similar music and food. I think their easygoing personalities has helped their friendship thrive this quarter.

(Pictured in Sequence)

Her Campus: You both are majoring in architecture, what interests you both in this field?

Bhavana Shyamsundar: I think I started watching HGTV in middle school and I could not stop watching it. Most of the designers on the show were architects so I wanted to become one. I have recently been interested in historic preservation, that’s the reason I came to SCAD. I love how they refurbish old buildings that have rich history and modernized the interior for contemporary use. I would love to build houses and mix old things with new materials. 

Heather Cusic: Since I was a kid, I have been curious about architecture, buildings and the technology and design behind them. What really sealed the deal though was when I vacationed in India with two of my best friends. Seeing in person great historical structures like the Taj Mahal, the Lotus Temple and Qutub Minar, just to name a few, was really quite breathtaking. So because of that, I am also pursuing a minor in historic preservation and would like to begin a career in restoration architecture. I would like to travel the world restoring buildings to their former glories while accommodating a modern society. 

HC: How have you grown as an artist at SCAD?

Bhavana: I have grown tremendously as an artist at SCAD. I was reluctant coming here but this year has made me realize how much I love creating and designing. My general electives opened by eyes to new art forms that I hope to continue throughout life such as sculpting. 

Heather: Coming into SCAD I was a little anxious about how my abilities would compare to everyone else’s, but when I got here, I realized that doesn’t really matter. Everyone here is so unique and talented in their own way, which allows me to not be self-conscious about my own work and keep improving. Being in such a creative environment and having amazing professors has helped me improve a little more everyday. 

HC: I’m excited because we only have three more weeks of the quarter. Do either of you have any adventurous plans for summer break?

Bhavana: Unfortunately not this summer because I will be coming back to Savannah to take summer classes. But when I am home I hope to go to as many concerts and Broadway shows.

Heather: This summer I have plans to see one of my favorite bands, The 1975, in concert with my best friends in Baltimore. I also plan on: getting a job, having some awesome adventures in Washington, D.C., spending time with family, and doing the typical Maryland activities like boating and fishing. 

HC: I know that Maryland is known for crab. Are there dishes you’re looking forward to eating?

Bhavana: I’m actually looking forward to this local Japanese restaurant near my house and Chipotle.

Heather: Crab is a staple food, especially during the summer. Anything with crab in it is delicious, but my favorite dish would have to be classic hard crabs (with Old Bay and vinegar of course). 

Let’s get to know Bhavana a litte better:

HC: You’re birthday is coming up, how will you be celebrating?

Bhavana: Yes, my 19th birthday. I hope to have a great dinner with my college friends on Thursday. The next day I’ll be going home to celebrate my birthday with my friends and family. I’m going to be attending the Sweetgreen Festival in Columbia, Maryland too.

HC: I think your style is girly with a bohemian twist, paired with your lip color is 
perfection. What will you be wearing this summer?

Bhavana: This summer I will be wearing a ton of shorts, skirts, dresses and lacey or chiffon tops. The less clothing the better because its gets so humid in Georgia.

Ok, now for Heather’s turn:

HC: I’d like to start by wishing you a belated happy birthday since it was on the 4th. What has been your favorite memory at SCAD?

Heather: Thanks! I have had so many great experiences here at SCAD that it is hard to narrow down just one. A couple of recent ones have included a roommate bonding weekend featuring a trip to the Wormsloe Plantation on Skidaway Island and some incredible Cuban food. Another was going to the Sidewalk Art Festival seeing all of the amazing chalk drawings at Forsyth. 

HC: I’ve seen you wear some beautiful earrings, are they your accessory of 
choice? Where do you get them and the inspiration to shop?

Heather: You cannot go wrong with a great pair of earrings. Most of my earrings I got when I was in India with my friend visiting her family. Her grandmother spoiled me with all sorts of jewelry and since my visit has been sending me earrings, each pair beautiful and colorful. I think earrings more than any other type of jewelry really adds something extra to your personality; they make you look more put together and fashionable in my opinion. 

Find Heather and Bhavana around the Hive throughout these last few weeks. Be sure to wish Bhavana a happy birthday on Friday, May 9th. Follow their Instagrams @Bhavana0012 and @Heather_cusic. Hopefully these two will manage to meet up for some Maryland mania fun this summer.