Kelsey Veenstra: Illustrator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Kelsey Veenstra is an 18 year old freshman studying illustration at SCAD. You can find her in Starbucks on Broughton doodling away, enjoying a pumpkin spice latte (isn’t that everyone’s favorite?), and studying to be the best student she can be. I caught up with her to ask her about being a woman in art and her experience at SCAD so far. 

Q: How did you hear about SCAD?

A: I actually heard about it from my pastor because his sister used to be a professor here. 

Q: What inspired you to pursue illustration?

A: I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do, but I knew that I was interested in communication arts and illustration gives me the best of both worlds between drawing and digital work. 

Q: What would be your dream job coming out of college?

A: Right now, I’m interested in publication design within illustration, so my dream would be to work for a big name magazine company in New York City. 

Q: What has been your favorite part of SCAD so far?

A: I really love the classes and my professors. I feel like I’m learning so much and am growing exponentially as an artist. The professors here are so knowledgeable and communicate art so well. 

Q: What is your favorite thing to do when you aren’t doing homework?

A: I love to go get smoothies with my friends and spend time in our dance studio. 

Q: How do you feel pursuing art as a career?

A: I’m excited about it, I’m not really scared. A lot of people think it’s not a reliable field to go in, but I think it’s such a growing profession. There’s always something new within art, so i’m just excited. 

Q: When did you first start drawing seriously?

A: Sophomore year of high school

Q: What advice do you have for other young people desiring to pursue illustration or art in general in university?

A: Take advantage of the techniques that you learn in your foundations classes. It feels stupid and not many kids want to sit through it, but ultimately those classes are what will make you a better artist because they focus on the basic building blocks that you’ll need to be great.