andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Confront People Like a Lady

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Photo courtesy of memecenter.com. 

After going into a brief hibernation for the past two days, I’ve had enough time to reflect on how I’m going to approach the obstacles that have been presented before me.

1. My boyfriend is now my manager at work.

F*ck.

1. The girl who my ex-boyfriend cheated on me with (or so I thought) and essentially left me for has landed a job at my work.

Double f*ck.

This took place all in the same week, of course. Easy now, Life. One inconvenience at a time, please.

I spent all last night self-loathing and asking why me? Not that this issue is SERIOUS. It’s not; it’s completely trivial in all fairness. But doesn’t it sound like something that would happen in a sh*tty rom-com? Like, what are the odds? I can only hope this one has a happy ending.

Long story short, there was a lot of humiliation I experienced when trying to convince the first guy I ever loved NOT to leave me for the girl who provided him a life of drugs, sex, and recklessness. My boring self lost that battle, and that war.

And I thought I was over it. But we all think we’re over something until we’re face to face with it again. 

In life, it’s inevitable that you’ll be put into discomforting situations (no matter how ironic they come), but the disappearing act is never the way to go. You don’t want to leave something you enjoy because of how others make you feel. Correction: how you allow them to make you feel.

So if you’re ever stuck working next to or going to school with someone you’d hope to never see again:

Yeah that sucks, like a lot. But you’re stronger than any hurt someone else has caused you. You wouldn’t have made it this far if you weren’t. And it’s easy to hang onto anger, but holding grudges is unacceptable past a certain point, plus it’s more negativity you carry on your shoulders.  

So what do you do?

For me, it had been three years since I had spoken to my ex. I had a new boyfriend of two years, so dwelling over this would only cause us both discomfort. I had to ask myself, am I really okay working next to this girl?

The answer at the time was no. Not gonna happen.

And I was anticipating a fight; an argument that escalates into a full on hair-pulling b*tch fight with plates getting broken over each other’s heads (we work at a restaurant – the plates are heavy).

And then she approached me.

She immediately hugged me and apologized for everything. And I realized I didn’t have it in me to hate her f***ing guts.

Hilariously enough we’ve become friends since. We have a common ground (my ex), which helps, but we get along like we’ve been friends for a long time. My ex may have torn us apart, but it was our adulting powers that brought us together.

Moral of the story: forgiveness, forgiveness, forgiveness. No matter how many times you’ve heard it, I’ll say it again. Don’t let the past rule your present.