This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

From VP of SCAD’s Relay for Life to the Entertainment Chair of the city of Savannah’s own Relay for Life, Brian has an unwavering support for this charity. His passion for Relay for Life is unlike any I’ve ever seen- he has dedicated an enormous amount of time to supporting the American Cancer Society through his efforts to make SCAD’s Relay for Life a success. Learn more about Relay for Life and Brian’s goals through HerCampus’ exclusive interview below!

Hometown? Weston, CT

Major? Advertising

Year? Sophomore

What is Relay for Life? It is an event with the American Cancer Society to raise money and awareness for cancer. It is an overnight event to show that cancer never sleeps and gives a look into the journey a cancer patient goes though during treatment. The biggest part about it is that it celebrates cancer survivors, remembers those who have passed away from cancer, and allows participants to join together to take a stand and fight back to eliminate cancer altogether.

How did you get involved with Relay for Life? This will be my fourth year with Relay for Life. My high school principal’s husband passed away from cancer and she brought Relay for Life to our high school. I loved seeing her passion for it and seeing how happy she was to see students participate in this. I haven’t lost anyone close due to cancer, but my friends have, and I see the effect it has on others. I love seeing the support and positive impact Relay for Life has on others and that it can hopefully change someone’s life for the better– that’s why I do it.

When is SCAD’s Relay for Life? Friday, April 4th from 6pm to 12am. Savannah also has its own Relay for Life on May 2nd-May 3rd from 7pm until 7am.

How much money do you hope to raise? Our goal is $18,000 and currently we’ve raised about $7,500.

What is the hardest part of organizing Relay for Life? Getting people involved.

What is the most rewarding part? Being there on the night of Relay and looking out and seeing everything- the activities, the performances, and the interactions between people- and knowing that I had a part in making this happen.

Do you plan on organizing more charities in the future? Yes. Whether I am a student or once I graduate, I always hope to be involved, because I think it is important to give back.

Where do you see yourself in five years? I hope to be working in NYC or California at an advertising agency as an art director and making advertisements that interact with people and tell a story.

Anything you’d like to add? Every single person if affected by cancer, whether you have lost a loved one, you know someone who has lost a loved one, or you get cancer yourself in the future. If everyone can take the time to come out for one night a year to support the American Cancer Society, we would be able to beat cancer in no time. 

To learn more about how you can get involved, visit relayforlife.org/SCADga and facebook.com/relayforlifeofscad

My name is Tiffany Troumouliaris and I am majoring in advertising at SCAD.