This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Has your life felt weird or off within the past two weeks? Are people around you acting more peculiar than usual? Maybe traveling has become more of a nuisance recently? Perhaps you have experienced more coincidences, your intuition has gotten stronger, or your plans keep going awry. You can thank Mercury going into retrograde for all of this. According to astrology, when a planet enters retrograde, it appears to be moving backwards than how it normally moves in the sky and in it’s typical rotation. Mercury does this a couple times each year. It just so happens to be doing this right now, from March 23rd to April 15th. 

Every planet in our solar system has a different connection to our lives. Mercury is an inner planet (all of the planets in between the sun and Earth), which means that it affects our day-to-day life and everything that happens in it. Mercury is specifically known as the planet that rules over communication and mind, so anything from how you interact with others and travel to how you think and wisdom. \It will affect zodiac signs in different ways, but everyone is still affected by it in different ways. I know that whenever I feel like my life has gotten really off or people collectively fall into an obscure funk, I always look to see if Mercury is in retrograde. Every time but once when I’ve done this, it has been in retrograde. The one off chance was right before it went into retrograde, so it’s typically pretty accurate.

Some people experience travel issues like always getting stuck in traffic, their tires flatten on several occasions, they are late to work or catching the bus, etc. Others might feel more out of it personally, making them feel they are constantly zoned out and not thinking as much as they normally do. I am always affected socially when Mercury is in retrograde. Other people around me start acting extra funky, saying things they normally would not say or taking way more risks in different scenarios than they would typically. Also, I definitely have tons of coincidences occurs during this event and I think a lot of other do, no matter what their signs are. I’d be willing to bet coincidences go across the board for this occasion. 

Whether you believe in astrology or not, I think it’s definitely an interesting topic to read into. The idea that the planet’s actions affect our lives from birth onward in various ways is such an compelling concept. The study has sadly been damaged due to pop culture as a clear fraud from fake horoscope sites and other false information spread on the internet. In the end, I think that if you want to learn something new, you can definitely take from astrology. Keep your eyes open these next few days, you might notice how Mercury is affecting you.