5 Summer Social Events That Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.
Summer’s on its way which means a lot of things for us college kids, but the biggest one by far is what are we going to do with our time and how are we going to afford it? That’s right, vacation time is up and with our budding young adulthood comes the thrill of adventure. This summer might spark fantastic ideas of travel and exploration, but what do you do when you have a wanderlust heart but an empty wallet? Well here are some cheap, fun, and memory insured summer adventure ideas to take part in.

1) Road Trips: Just grab some of your friends, a car, and gas money. The bigger the group the cheaper the ride. You can go somewhere close by like a local hiking trail or a city three hours away.

2) Camping: There are plenty of camp grounds, just rent a space for a weekend. They usually run cheap and sometimes have amenities. Just get a group together, hustle up some fishing pools, a cooking pot, a tent and a cooler and you’re good to go.

3) The beach: Hopefully you live on, or near the coast so that you can do a day trip to the beach. Sometimes you end up driving hours to the shoreline, but it’s worth it.

4) Carnivals and Festivals: No I’m not talking about the expensive music  festivals or Carnival de Rio, I’m talking about those local state fairs, the Medieval fair, County fair, etc.  There are rides, food, games and they usually run for a few weeks so you can be sick one day, have an appointment to go to the other and still make it there. 

5) Back Packing: Now definitely don’t go hitch hiking as it is dangerous and in many places illegal, but back-packing is always fun. Just set up a pack, gather up some good reliable gear, great friends and pick a course for travel because what’s a better way to travel than by foot. 

Anyway college kids, just remember that even though we may be broke and drowning in loans, we can still find affordable  vacations over the summer. All you really need is some imagination, will power, and best of all, some great friends. Make those memories this summer and stay safe!

Hi All! My name is Kayla, I am a Sophomore at SCAD, studying Dramatic Writing and Creative Writing.