Voting as Millennials: Our Voices Count Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Image courtesy of thewillistonian.org.

Aside from becoming an adult when we turn 18, another big milestone happens. We are allowed to vote. Often when we think about voting we only think about the big presidential election every four years. In many ways everyone is sick of hearing about the November election. We tune it out unconsciously. Yet the presidential election isn’t the only election that needs attention. Local elections, or general elections, can be just as big as the shindig in November for deciding the future; in a way it’s a trickle up effect. We vote for those who are lower on the totem pole and then they end up throwing their support for those above them and so on. You should care because if you don’t participate then the person who gets the chair of office could be someone who stands for things you’re totally against. Then you really have no right to complain because you chose not to be a part of the process. An article from The Atlantic had a great quote about that, “Millennials might make a lot of noise between presidential elections, but in November, politicians remember what young people are: All throat and no vote.”

Image courtesy of cagle.com.

Let’s take a look at the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, Roy Moore (you might remember him as the man who last year tried to say the State Supreme Court’s ruling preceded the Federal Supreme Court on same sex marriage). Ten years ago he was also known as the 10 Commandments Judge, where he tried to have the 10 Commandments outside his courthouse in direct violation of the separation of church and state. His stubbornness got him fired from the job, but in 2013 he was reelected to the post and just a few weeks ago  was suspended for repeated disregard for the law and is pending trial in front of an ethics committee. The people who voted him in were primarily older, (baby boomers) white conservatives  not illennials nor the average population for that matter.

In fact, the majority of the people who protested his decision last year and called for his removal were millennials. Without the millennial vote, the outcomes for every election will be skewed. Millennials are the largest generation and by voting we can throw our weight around and start the policy changes we want to see. Granted this has slowly been happening; the 2008 presidential election with Barak Obama winning was the first big step but we got lazy afterwards. Activity does not equal productivity. We have to make meaningful steps and keep pushing to be able to make the changes we want. Sitting around just talking and hoping some politician will do everything is stupid and will get us nowhere. 

Nationwide the talk about the election can be heard every day at any time just by flipping on the TV or checking out a news site on your phone. Research is critical for every election but big news stations aren’t going to cover who is up for the local sheriff’s position in your hometown. To really become an informed citizen, you have to make the effort to research the issues and all the candidates. Remember, the talking heads on CNN or FOX news have their own agendas. Never trust that they truly have your best interests at heart. Just like politicians, you have to be aware they are lining their own pockets and hedging bets. A good way to keep track of updates on issues important to you is to look at all of contemporary media; no matter what you consider yourself check out the competition and see what they’re saying. Also, look overseas and learn what the global peanut gallery has to say. BBC is fairly easy to access and keeps a close watch on our elections every time.

It doesn’t matter if you identify as a Republican, Democrat, Independent, Socialist, Green Party or any other party under the sun. Just remember if you don’t vote you can’t b*tch and moving to Canada isn’t always an option either.

Image courtesy of Pixabay.com.

The Georgia primary election for the general election in November will be taking place on May 24. The postions being voted on include: the federal house and senate, state house and senate, state and local judges, school boards and, often times, sneaky ballot measures that many people overlook. Ballot measures that will be voted on are: Georgia Judicial Qualifications Commission Replacement Amendment (2016), Georgia Dedication of Fireworks Tax Revenue Amendment (2016), Georgia State Intervention in Failing Public Schools Amendment (2016) and Georgia Safe Harbor for Sexually Exploited Children Fund Amendment (2016).  

Check out these other great resources to stay up-to-date on local and national elections:

Get information on candidates, all election dates and records of past elections with.Ballotpedia.

Learn your voter registration status and poll location with mytimetovote.com.

Don’t want to wait in line at the DMV to register to vote? Register online here and wait two to three months for validation to come in the mail. 

For Fulton County sample ballots, voter information and early voting information click here.  

Chel Howard is a senior at Savanah College of Art and Design, majoring in Graphic Design with a minor in Writing.