This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Time Management · noun

“The ability to use one’s time effectively or productively, especially at work: time management is the key to efficient working; students may need help in developing time management skills”

Lately, I’ve been hearing a bunch of people talk about time management. They say that you can’t succeed without having a proper understanding of it and doing it yourself. I think the people that have been saying this, don’t realize that talking about it is one thing and doing it is another. These are the people that have 9-5 jobs, and their days don’t vary much outside of that. 

Why It’s Hard to Incorporate the Management in School

We’ve probably, at one point or another, heard our mothers tell us to dedicate this much time to homework and this much to other things, etc. I don’t know about other people, but I felt (past tense, at one point in time, not as much now) I was relatively good at managing my time. I’ve been on the bowling team and participating in school for the past two years successfully. Then, I got a job last summer. I don’t know what happened, but it completely destroyed me. I’ve never felt so exhausted in my life. The time management became harder, but not impossible. I thought this into existence way too soon. This quarter, NOW, I’ve been so behind. I have a project due Tuesday, and it’s Friday, and I just ordered materials. 

It’s difficult to know how much time you can give yourself to work. I didn’t find out, until I did it, that it takes me two hours to read a chapter for psychology class. The challenge comes when you have to complete multiple things at once. In the real world, you would have to sacrifice your free time to get work done. That’s the problem, all of my free time is nonexistent, because I’m always doing work. You can’t not do something for one class, because you have other classes work to do, you have to do it all and make it work. And I know you’re probably thinking, oh just start your work right away, that doesn’t always help.  

My Tips to You

1. Make sure you get your sleep. During this time when you’re working on a lot, it might be helpful to go to bed, and wake up early to finish it. Don’t make it an all nightery. 
  2. Download a calendar app, to help you keep on top of your work. You can also get a planner if that works better for you.
  3. Work with people in your class. If you’re stressed about a project, it might be beneficial to you, to be around your classmates. Even though it’s a stressful time, you can see that you’re not alone. 
  4. When you can take a break, take it. Just make sure you don’t slack on your work. 

My name is Daniela. I am an Alumna of at SCAD Atlanta. An interesting fact about me is that I have three citizenships: American, British, Canadian.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World