absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Say it Loud, I’m Black and I’m Proud!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Now that I have your attention… Kamala Harris announced that she is throwing her hat in for the 2020 presidential campaign. Immediately, she received an almost overwhelming flood of support via social media. I recall at least ten of my friends all reposting the same announcement on their Insta-stories. Although I choose to identify as Pro Black and a feminist, Kamala does not have my vote…yet…maybe.

Before the African American community tries to cancel me, revoke my Black card, ban me from the cookout, or group me with Stacy Dash and Kanye West, let me explain myself.

The first time I participated in the presidential election process was 2008, yes, when President Barack H. Obama made history. Yes, I meant to put President in from of Barack because it is 2019 and I am still in a permanent state of denial. The Obamas are my Forever First Family, periodt. However,  I did not start off supporting Barack Obama; as a matter of fact, if you asked me, I was going to vote for Hillary Clinton without a doubt.

I just knew America would not vote for a Black man to be President no matter how forward thinking we appeared to be. It was not until Hillary’s campaign began to play dirty that I reconsidered my position and started doing my “homework” that Barack gained my support. Ultimately, if you have not gathered by now, I ended up voting for Barack Obama.

So, what’s the difference now? As someone who has been exercising their civic duty by voting, I make it a point to do my research and so far, my findings on Kamala are interesting. I think there are equally good and bad discussions happening.

Kamala is obviously qualified for the position, actually, everyone besides the current sitting president is qualified, but that’s another story.

Here’s a brief look at Ms. Harris’ resume:

• Graduate of Howard University
  • A graduate of the University of California, Hastings College of Law
  • San Francisco District Attorney Office
  • City Attorney of San Francisco
  • California Attorney General
  • Passing the DREAM Act:  Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act)
  • Senator

Pretty impressive and now for the bad.

About an hour after Kamala announced her bid, Twitter went crazy with their “receipts” using #KamalaIsACop. Allegedly, Kamala has contributed to mass incarceration and prison labor, supports transphobia, and is against medical marijuana. The specifics of these allegations is of course going to require research, but I have another issue with Ms. Harris.

It seems like her Blackness is real convenient and she’s reminding us that she’s Black every chance she’s gotten. For example, her Breakfast Club interview starts with a friendly rivalry between her and one of the hosts. As stated, Kamala graduated from Howard University and the host DJ Envy graduated from Hampton University. Both are a Historically Black College or  University (HBCU) and refer to themselves as “The Real HU”. Okay, that was cute and good transition into the interview. But as the interview continues, I notice her conversation is centered around Black culture. She keeps referring to this playlist she’s recently created. “Yeah, I need to download some Bootsy Collins, but I do have Childish Gambino and Kendrick Lamar.” It’s not a big deal; they are a radio station too after all, but it’s not just that.

Every question asked somehow received an answer referring back to her being Black. “Oh well I was raised in a Black household, I attended a Black college, Black Lives Matter, we have to save our Black men” and so on and so forth. I’m not bothered by her passion for the Black community, I applaud and encourage it, but it seems like she’s reaching, almost like she’s exploiting her Blackness. Kamala, you’re Black, we get it, but what else?

What are your other talking points? What are you views on education? What are you going to do about unemployment? How do you feel about Roe v. Wade possibly being overturned? And please answer these questions without referring back to your race. Don’t worry, when the campaign officially starts, the other non Black candidates will have no problem reminding you.

From a Public Relations/ Communications perspective, if Kamala is going to have any chance at this election, she’s going to have to appeal to more than just the Black audience, period. The African American community has the worst voting rates to date. Even with cities like Atlanta who has a Mayor names Keisha, (ayyyyeeee),  being Black is not enough. Please be reminded that even with all the endorsements and support, Mary Norwood only lost by 700 votes. Usually, there is a thousand-something difference. This is not to tear Kamala (or Keisha) down or discourage her. The fact that she’s a woman working in politics who just so happens to be Black is awesome; we need more representation, but I don’t want to only support her because she’s Black.

I think America is long overdue for a Black female president. If I find that after doing my research Kamala Harris has a strong platform and truly the best candidate, then she will have earned my vote. Until then, Kamala Harris has work to do.

Mia McDonald

SCAD ATL '20

I am Mia (same letters rearranged). I'm a part-time Grammarian, Pro Black, Christian, Feminist, Ambivert, Empath, and Lover of Life. If I'm not in class or working, I can usually be found napping or binge watching something on Netflix, lol.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World