This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Sure you can go to that Halloween party as a sl*tty cat or your favorite Jennifer Lawrence character, but we’re art school students. We have the brains, the tools, and the talent to create some really out-there costumes that will turn heads and are give rubberneckers a good laugh. Without further ado, here are some ideas for some not-so-scary and not-so-expensive Halloween costumes. 

1. Sushi time! With this costume, there are unlimited options for flavors  California roll, spicy tuna, Yellowtail, you name it! Just grab yourself a pillow and some kind of sash/rope/belt and you’re on your way.

Inspired by designs from www.thecheesethief.com. 

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

2. Pineapple headdress! Looking for something easier than our sushi idea? Try making yourself a leaf headband out of construction paper and find some yellow clothes to be a pineapple. That cute guy at the party dressed as Spongebob will have a lot to say to you.

Inspired by designs from www.studiodiy.com. 

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

3. Halloween or Christmas? Why not roll like Jack Skellington and go for broke? Channel two occasions at once by dressing up a Christmas present using only wrapping paper, ribbon and a cardboard box. Caution: not to be used for d*ck in a box.

Inspired by designs from www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com.

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

4. Not all dolls on Halloween have to be as messed-up as Chuckie or Annabelle. We suggest going a different route this Halloween as a wind-up doll. Simply cut out a cardboard key and spray paint it to match one of your favorite dresses or semi-formal wear and attach it to your back. Travel in packs and call yourself a limited collection!

Inspired by designs from www.diynetwork.com. 

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

5. The Fruit of Looms Gang

You can tell we like food can’t you? For a hilarious and unexpected twist, gather a group of friends and go as various berry-like fruits such as red grapes, green grapes, blueberries, raspberries or pomegranates. All you need are different colored balloons attached to your body and then walk around as a bushel. 

Inspired by designs from www.seventeen.com. 

Illustration courtesy of Kara Robson.

Like our ideas or think you can invent a better costume? Sketch or take a picture of your Halloween outfit and post it on Instagram, #hercampusscad. 

I am an animation major, a creative writer, and a webcomic artist for Tapastic. My hobbies include watching 2-D and 3-D cartoons, writing, drawing, animating, and some other things if I had more time!