jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Out With the Old, In With the New

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

At the end of each year we all get wrapped up in the idea of setting new year resolutions and goals for the upcoming year. It can be fun writing down your goals or cutting out magazine clippings and creatively making a vision board. But studies have shown that nearly 90 percent of new year resolutions and goals fail. It’s not because we don’t push ourselves enough to reach the goals, it’s because we’ve forgotten to take care of the most important thing when adapting to change: our mindsets.

Happiness and success in meeting your new year goals and resolutions are only obtainable if you have the right mindset. It and your belief system affect everything in your life, from the way you think and feel to how you go about executing your goals and resolutions. Essentially, if you bring in the same state of mind that didn’t help you reach any of your previous aspirations into the new year, you won’t achieve any new ones you set.

In order to accomplish your goals, your mindset has to match.

Here are a few ways you can upgrade your mindset:

1. Gas yourself up

Image Credit: Popsugar

Believe it or not, the conversations we have with ourselves directly affect our mindset. If you’re constantly putting yourself down or believing you’re not good enough, it will create your reality, causing you to hold back on achieving the goals you want. Gasing yourself up with more positive affirmations can help upgrade your mindset. It may be a little cliché but telling yourself “I look good” or “I can do all things” actually works.

2. Change your language

Image Credit: Giphy

Along with changing your verbiage when talking to yourself, changing your language with others is imperative as well. No one wants to be around a Negative Nancy all the time. Make it a habit to talk about the positive things going on in your life, even if you feel like nothing is going right. It will show that you’re remaining positive in spite of your circumstances, which will encourage others to shift their mindset as well.

3. Determine the mindset you need

Image Credit: Giphy

Every goal you set for yourself doesn’t require the same mindset. For example, if you want to strengthen your relationship with God, shifting your mindset to reading the bible every day and going to church more is required. But if you want to lose weight, changing your relationship with food is needed. You have to act as if you already have the mindset for each goal in order to obtain them. By doing this, you help your brain adapt to different scenarios.

4. Learn and apply

Image Credit: Star 2

Reading books from some of the greatest minds can help change your way of thinking. Even just learning from others and seeing what they do can aid the shift in your frame of mind.

5. Surround yourself with people who have the same mindset

Image Credit: Giphy

A huge part of growth centers around those who are in your circle. If you surround yourself with people who are go-getters and know how to adapt their mindset for each one of their goals, you’re likely to do the same. It’s easier to adapt a new mindset when you see that it’s working for others. By learning how they think and applying that knowledge, your mindset will change in the way you want and need it to.

Set your goals and resolutions for 2019 but don’t forget to change your mindset as well. Make 2019 a year unlike any other.

Dominique is a 2018 graduate of SCAD Atlanta, where she received her MFA in Writing, and a chapter advisor for Her Campus. She hails from Greensboro, NC and is a proud HBCU grad from the illustrious Winston-Salem State University. When Dominique is not writing, she teaches it. She is all about writers being their authentic selves, even if it makes other people uncomfortable.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World