My Favorite Holiday: Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

By Genevieve Odukomaiya

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I know as SCAD students we are all looking forward to this much-needed break- I know I am. It’s always so rewarding to go back home from a long 10 week quarter and simply just relax and distress from all the hard work. Thanksgiving is easily one of my favorite holidays and for me I can simply sum it up due to 2 reasons: food and Black Friday shopping!

Now I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, but my ethnicity and familial origins are Nigerian and being of Nigerian descent mean a lot of Nigerian food during Thanksgiving. We of course have the basic staples of Thanksgiving such as the turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing, but we also have a lot of common Nigerian foods added in like jollof rice and dodo (fried plantain). And don’t even get me started about deserts- I love a good pumpkin pie topped with whip cream. Every year my family hosts a big Thanksgiving party and its always a fabulous time with food, family, and friends. Anywhere there is food, is bound to be a good time in my opinion!

The fun doesn’t stop there because the next day is- drumroll please!- Black Friday! Being a fashion major, I am of course obsessed with fashion and shopping, so I really take advantage of Black Friday and the crazy sales! Now I haven’t always gone Black Friday shopping, but in recent years it’s been a tradition that I really love and enjoy. And when I say Black Friday shopping, I’m really referring to online shopping. I sit back in my comfy clothes, put on some holiday movies, and shop away! Now that sounds like an excellent Thanksgiving!

High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World