Style > Beauty

My Attempt at the Feather Eyebrow Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Earlier this month I saw this strange trend that I felt seemed just right for SCAD students. Big, full brows have been in for the last few years, and recently an Instagram makeup artist has started a new trend to make them even bigger and fuller (and a bit outlandish).

Meet feather brows:

Yes, that’s right, shaping your eyebrow into the shape of a feather. This trend stretches your brows to maximum capacity, making each of your eyebrow hairs stick out to their fullest length. The creator of this trend, Instagrammer and makeup artist, Stella Sironen, supposedly posted this photo of herself (shown above) as a joke; however, more posts started popping up of other women trying their take on the trend.

Is this the solution to plucking and filling in your brows? Possibly, but this trend seems a bit more time consuming. After watching a couple of tutorials, I decided to try this trend out for myself. Some of the girls in the videos were using gel or glue sticks (no thank you), but all I happened to have on hand was some clear mascara which was convenient since the applicator brush is much like an eyebrow brush, which you’ll need to complete this trend and fully spread your eyebrows out. First, I showered and removed all my makeup ( you really can’t manipulate your brow if you have wax in it already or are wearing foundation). Next, I tried to split a line down the middle of my brow with a comb although that didn’t do much. After that, I just went crazy with the mascara and brushed and held my eyebrow hairs until they dried in my desired direction. I’m not sure if the mascara was too weak or that to create this look you have to go completely against the grain of your eyebrow hair, but mine reverted almost fully back to their original shape after just a couple of minutes. Here’s what it looked like on me:

I hated this. I didn’t really think the trend was attractive before (although it might work on the runway or in a high fashion setting), but it looked and felt awful. I had never really been about feather trends in general though, so maybe that was part of the problem.

But if you were all about those raccoon-striped hair feathers in middle school, here’s a new and all natural way to add some feather vibes to your look! Below are a couple of tutorials if you’re interested in alternative methods to achieving this look: