This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

Queer baiting. A term that is known by few but vital in the conversions about diversity in television. Queer baiting is when a show alludes to the potential for a same-sex couple but never actually goes through with it. In fandom talk, never makes it canon. It is dinging the hope for representation on a hook but never giving it to the viewers.

Good examples of this, to give you all a clearer understanding of queer baiting, are some popular shows currently on air. One being Riverdale in which the writers had the main female leads lip lock in the first episode, then go on and say there was a chance for “Beronica” to happen in season two. Of course, only to then say there was no chance for Betty and Veronica at all due to lack of chemistry, which viewers of the show do not agree with it. Another show known for queerbaiting, is one of my own personal favorites. Supernatural is dear to my heart but I am not blind to their flaws. Dean and Castiel, or “Destiel” have been the show’s most wanted couple but most unlikely to ever become canon. Dean’s character has had scene in which his sexuality was alluded to be more than straight. Fans of the show have been wanting Dean to be conformed as a bisexual for many seasons but have not had desires meet. There is Emma Swan and Regina Mills from Once Upon a Time. Kara Danvers and Lena Luthor from Supergirl.

Now that I’ve you examples of the term queer baiting. Here is why it is important. Bottom line is, it is false representation. Queer baiting is a term that needs to be brought up when discussing the importance of representation. Just as terrible as it is having an overtly stereotyped filled token character, is having characters for the purpose of queer baiting. There is no true and well-meaning representation in that. Writers of shows hint at a romance between a same-sex paring for the sake of their ratings. They get the viewers without the backlash that comes from homophobic audience members. It is an unsatisfying and undesirable compromise; which has another layer to it. “Bury your gays” more than a term it is a concept that has also risen in the wake of queerbaiting.

“Gays don’t get happy endings” is another large theme that comes along with queerbaiting. One example of this is in a phrase that came to be: “Bury your gays” which, can be well descried using The 100 and its character’s Lexa and Clarke. Clarke and Lexa become canon, had a whole proclaiming love to each other sense and everything. This of course happening in a virtual world in which Lexa’s mind was kept alive after being shot. Lexa was killed off. On the same episode that Clarke and Lexa were made canon Lexa was shot. It’s not an unfamiliar feeling to have a beloved gay character get the short end of the stick.  

The fact of the matter is that there needs to be more LGBTQ+ representation on the big screen. No more alluding or hinting. No more baiting. There needs to be honest representation of LGBTQ+ people on television for the sake of those watching. We turn to television shows, movies, books for entrainment, for comfort. When we look at the big screen it is comforting to see someone you relate too, we all deserve someone to relate to. We want society to be accepting but how can we have a society that loves all people when not all people are represented or not represented in a positive light? When it comes down to it we want to build a positive platform for kids growing up. Let them see gays, bisexuals, lesbians, transgender kids. Let them be gay but not have that be all they are. Queerbaiting is ugly and unnecessary. Why please homophobic audience by not making a same-sex couple can? Why not instead educate those audience members on what it means to be a person in the LGBTQ+ community? We need to use the massive platform that is the entertainment industry to educate and get rid of ignorance.

High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World