Style > Beauty

I Tried the infamous Daith Piercing for Migraines.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD ATL chapter.

I Tried the Infamous Daith Piercing for Migraines.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a permanent fix for Migraines.

I have this habit of mindlessly doing things. For example, this piercing I got. 

The Migraines

I wouldn’t say that I suffer from migraines, but when I have migraines I want to die. The reason I can’t say that I suffer from migraines, is because I don’t get them often enough. I wanted to find a solution or fix to keep them from happening or reduce them. I chose this route, because other than being dehydrated, I would get them for no reason at all. When I have a migraine, I literally can’t function and become extremely irritable. Being on the bowling team, I can’t have a migraine and bowl, that would be death for me.

The Daith Piercing

In searching for solutions that didn’t involve pills, I came across a piercing for migraines. If you didn’t know, your ear is full of nerve endings, and if you puncture certain nerves, they help with issues you may be experiencing. This is similar to acupuncture. The daith piercing is one of the places in your ear that helps with migraines, along with other spots. Typically, you’d go to a specific person who is familiar with the nerves in your ear to have it pierced. Although, you don’t need to, I did not. Just having pressure in this specific spot can help with migraine relief. 

The Experience

I didn’t know what to expect, because I hadn’t had any real ear piercings, before this. (I previously had my cartilage done with a gun and it was not a pretty experience during the healing period.) For the piercing shop, I went to a place I was familiar with and was comfortable going to. The place, KOLO Piercing and Body Arts, is located in Little Five Points in Atlanta, GA. They do Body Jewelry, Body Piercings, Plugs, and more. 

I figured the piecing would hurt, because the daith is a thick part of your ear. I was right. I had to lay down for the piercing. The piercer had me breathe in and out, in and out, and then he went for it. It hurt so bad. Not to the point that I wanted to cry or anything, but it was an annoying pain, like ow ow ow. Afterwards, it wasn’t really swollen, nor did it hurt. I thought it was a great experience, even though it really hurt. I had a curved bar put in my ear so it’s less noticeable, but one can also get a ring.

I’ve had days where I’ve had the symptoms of a migraine, but then it never happened. It’s been 2 or 3 weeks, and I feel really good about the piercing. Initially, I knew the piercing may or may not help with my migraines, but it was still was a cute piercing. I was nervous that my piercing would get infected or something, but I’ve been cleaning it with castille soap and sea salt wound spray, twice a day. The benefit…because the piercing if so far in your ear, it doesn’t impact your sleep. This means a lot for me, because I like my sleep!

If you’re interested in this piercing, I think you should try it. It is really cute, and if you want it can be hidden. Mine cost about $60 after jewelry, and I didn’t think it was too expensive. Give it a shot!

My name is Daniela. I am an Alumna of at SCAD Atlanta. An interesting fact about me is that I have three citizenships: American, British, Canadian.
High-spirited fashion designer with sound knowledge about the management and promotional aspects of the industry. My inquisitive nature enables me to discover efficient ways of streamlining marketing approaches to reach target audience. The process of translating various topics into a collection of garments after intensive research and visual development, makes me feel empowered because it is a unique medium of self-expression. However, I am fully aware of the importance of marketing a product in order to gain the best results which makes me equally passionate about both the aspects of Fashion World